My Yesterday in Pictures Format
I’ve simply built my daily walking & painting up to the point where I need the time for these two vital parts of keeping me healthy and/or sane, lol!
My Day Ahead series posts will continue, but on a much more intermittent basis. Already it seems some of that series’ usefulness is being incorporated into this new series’ format, me yakking ‘bout what when on, on the yesterday part of my life anyway, lol! It’s a continuing experiment of course, so we’ll see 😊
New (to me) Art Toys
A lot of these, all of these? – have been around for quite awhile, but my recent re-entry into acrylics has me searching for ways to do things that random sizes of plastic bowls and scooping with my palette knife for drops of water just weren’t working for more than random moments of work, lol! 😂
Absorbent Ground, above, from Golden, along with modeling paste and gels evidently, will allow one to paint actual washes (way more water than pigment) of acrylic on a paper-absorbent like surface that won’t wash away (like watercolor would) once dry!
Haven’t even opened it yet and very much itching too! But I know I need more than a few stolen minutes to tenderly test and try out. Today is already packed 150% full with yoga, the 6 year old and abundant sunshine. Tomorrow’s 80% chance of rain day might be the 1st entry.
Meanwhile I’m rehearsing smeared-wash scenarios in my mind.
We’ll see how that works out 😊
I have a large wooden palette I wrap clear wrap around and build up old paint on, with little valleys and ridges forming reservoirs for me to hold new paint in. These 9×12 grey paper palettes (there’s larger sizes too) promise to help me “see” the actual color better against the neutral grey background. I have a couple of sheets pulled out already and have one laying on my terrain-simulating paint-covered wood palette, ready for me to jump in.
The question that keeps rising in my mind is: if a surrounding grey is so beneficial for seeing colors more clearly, then shouldn’t paintings have more grey resting spots/lines/shapes within it too?
Hmmmm. Yeah. Hmmmm 🤔
And lastly, to solve one of my more persistent problems – how to add a drop (or two) to my acrylic or oil (water soluble) paint when desired without 1) having a spill-ready bowl of water nearby, or 2) making a trip to the bathroom or kitchen or water – each time I want my mixture of paint a certain way.
I think the lack of that easy readiness is part of why I screwed up (ie, strayed from my intent) my non-glazing glaze attempt on a small painting the day before (see Dec 17th’s Yesterday in Pictures).
These bottles come in varying sizes, and in packs. I got one to try out & already am thinking of getting one those 12 packs (cheaper per unit too). Evidently they’re also good for oils and perfumes, so should work for my water soluble linseed & other oil mediums. There’s also the option of just getting the droppers, since I have a few nice glass jars in small sizes. There’s all kinds of ways to create glazes and such (great article from JustPaint & Golden), even with the water soluble oils, so this should be a huge help.
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products For This Post
You can also begin a new search from any image below 😊
Painting Instruction Videos https://amzn.to/2ZNgxfi
Painting Instruction Prime Video https://amzn.to/35oeMq2
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- September 19, 2020 – Turning 70 in One Month Yet Feeling Like 16 Still Stuck in Time – But, This Time I Get to Vote“I remember distinctly hearing this song many places many times through several years while in high school, but especially early on.“
- The Old American Artist Twitter Excerpt Series, Number II.3.4“… he felt his body resting upon the bed.”
- Aging Gracefully During Covid-19 : The Seasons – and Hopefully The Times – Are A Changin’“Doubts about whether 70 would actually be that major a marker for me, in terms of how hard and how far to push myself, held me back from developing thIs post though, until today!“
- The Old American Artist Twitter Excerpt Series, Number II.3.3“Crying for movement, his body ached for down time from the active stillness of painting.”
- Adan’s Fine Art America Images # 15 – Yoga Creativity and Awareness, Digital Art circa 2016“I’d very much begun to think ‘digital’ was the way for me to go by this time in early 2016, but I’d both begun to see my technical limitations and feel a growing reluctance within myself to….”
- The Old American Artist Twitter Excerpt Series, Number II.3.2“Arturo began to search for an emerging wholeness in the images.“
- Tweets That Caught My Eye on Twitter – Laurie @retsebez“Laurie’s tweets are something I’ve only recently found myself looking for more of….”
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
Thanks everyone! 😊
Twitter / Instagram / FB @FelipeAdanLerma
Amazon Author Page – https://amzn.to/2YpgyUf
Fine Art America (FAA) – https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/felipeadan-lerma.html