Something very new for me yesterday – painting with the Austin group of Urban Sketchers! 😊
I was especially nervous because I hadn’t painted outdoor since the mid-2000s during a workshop, was using materials I didn’t even have then, didn’t know how it might get (even if scheduled for morning), and maybe worst of all – the parking situation near UT in town, lol!
Luckily our local Urban Sketcher folks here are very familiar with urban Austin & our outing was scheduled for a Sunday morning, ie, cooler & less traffic!
While I think my 1st sketch of the morning (below) was a bit sparse I really like the colors; and while my 2nd sketch (top, header image) was a bit busy even for me, it seems to have more form. All in all, folks (onlookers and others in our Urban Sketchers group) were very kind, saying my images were very pretty.
And I gotta admit, if I have to default for an emotive expression for my work, pretty comes close to wanting to express a sense of aspiration for the uplifting; so I’ll gladly take the verbal thumbs’ up’s 🙏
I took a couple of quick photos of work set out before we all headed home, and you can see there’s an amazing level of both draftsmanship and painting. The FB & Instagram links below the images will be a good place to see much better captures of the group of images and individual pieces ❤️
There’s an online signup via Meetup – https://www.meetup.com/UrbanSketchers_Austin/ .
And there’s also the Facebook page, which has the ongoing pics and news of outings here in Austin – https://www.facebook.com/groups/1079812898761611 .
Plus, even though I rarely go there, Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/uskaustin/ ( hashtag #uskaustin )
For me personally, it was wonderful to be out and mingling / chatting with other artists for 1st time in a very long time. There’s a supportiveness and sharing of purpose, regardless of styles – that’s very encouraging and liberating.
Equally liberating for me was not having the time or luxury to get so “studio-ish” and to simply work on the fly – learning for next time, enjoying the process —
— even if – “wanting to get it exactly right (and not getting there)” – is always there, guiding my impulse to reach a little closer to a work , lol! ☺️
Take care everyone! Seems there’s always new things to try out – yay! ♥️
ps – reading over my post, I think I’m realizing, more deeply than beforehand, I need to work fluidly, quickly, including lines w/my color work in my plein air work (my digital work’s a bit different for me, in feel & pace), and yet try to use creative judgement to produce cleaner work at the same time; Sunday morning’s outing with Austin’s Urban Sketcher group was as productive as it was enjoyable! 💕
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
My Amazon search for “urban sketcher” –
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- October 02, 2022 – My Most Viewed Image this Past Week @FineArtAmerica, “Walking With the Stars Poster” : circa 2022Especially nice for to see my poster version of “Walking with the Stars” appear as my most viewed image of the week at Fine Art America 😊
- October 01, 2022 – Opinion: Careening Screaming Laughing Round the Curve and Guardrails America ( and the world ) is Entering Adulthood, Part 1…it’s my opinion humanity will soon decide to survive or not. And that we can only decide to survive by also deciding that means all of us.
- September 28, 2022 – Working Texture and Figures into Compositions I Like, Part 6 : Adding a 5th ( scumbled ) Layer to Danseur en Bleu ( formerly Dancing Turquoise )I don’t want to forget, souls and spirits that we may be, we are also of and from the Earth we stand upon ❤️
- September 27, 2022 – Now This Sounds Right : “Fed can avoid ‘deep pain’ in inflation fight, Bostic says”One of the fun things of being a lay-person in re to an esoteric topic, like the effect of Federal Reserve actions and statements about folks in my fiscal strata is – long as I’m upfront it’s my opinion – I can say how things appear from my socio-economic perspective.
- September 26, 2022 – Changes to My Blog – No Externally Generated Ads / Blogging As AbleI needed to regroup.
- September 25, 2022 – My Most Viewed Image this Past Week @FineArtAmerica, “Walk Among the Wildflowers” : circa 2020I’m hoping to catch the deadline to submit it to a new-to-me Austin venue, Bee Caves Arts Foundation. Do wish me luck. It’d be a great add-on to its being my most viewed on Fine Art America this past week 😊🙏
- September 22, 2022 – Clean Energy, Part 5 – The Practical Problem, and, How #Solar Kept the Lights on After Fiona Left #PuertoRico in the DarkThe bulk of the info is a very fairly laid out presentation that a 90% of renewable energy is mostly doable and feasible. The only really debatable portion, and Dan presents pluses and minuses for each possible choice, is how to supply that last needed 10%.
Thanks again, everyone! 😊