Little Steps Poster ©Felipe Adan Lerma
Covid-19 and the Right to Vote
A bit of news out of my home state of Texas. For the past decade, the two main political parties of that state have battled in and out of court in regard to things vote related. Actually seemingly everything vote related, lol! 😏
Of course, this is the true course of a true democracy.
Now, I’ll admit, I have a bias, and a strong preference in regard to the issues that’ve been argued in state and federal courts during all these years – but….
I have an even stronger bias in the rule of law and interpretations of our country’s constitution.
So all that said, with so much in the news regarding how to vote during an epic pandemic, this particular round of arguments, regarding Texas’ already allowance for seniors and folks with disabilities to vote by mail, is especially interesting because the main argument for allowing vote by mail, universally, for all Texans, is predicated by the wording of “who” is disabled, and thus entitled to vote by mail during Covid-19.
The article is surprisingly, considering The AustinChronicle’s unconcealed liberal slant 😊, I think, fairly presented.
“For want of a vote”, ‘the judge wrote,’ “our democracy and the Republic would be lost and government of the people, by the people and for the people shall perish from the earth.”
The article’s not too long, another trademark of the Austin Chronicle’s reporting, but, below the article, is a string of related posts, and one can follow the dates to follow the thread.
And, at some point, in one of the articles, one can even pick up the decade long thread of the struggle between the two parties to define and either constrict or expand Texans’ voting rights, though probably neither party exactly sees it that way 😊
In the meantime, my comment on various comment threads related to this on various sites, is generally along the lines of that, meanwhile, it is our individual responsibility to 1) register to vote, 2) confirm our registration, and 3) prepare to be able to vote in person is absolutely necessary.
Sheila and I already plan to vote by mail, we’re both seniors. But, if something prevents that, we’ll wear what we need, and take what’s necessary, to endure a line to vote.
Snacks and some portable chairs are on our list ❤️
Stay well everyone! 💕
Series link – Aging Through Covid-19
Do you have good, positive, useful or encouraging info to share? Please post in the moderated comments below 😊
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- The Old American Artist Twitter Excerpt Series, Number II.8.1“Anna’s dad paused and looked cleanly at Arturo. ‘You are, you say, a poor American.’ Arturo nodded, forcing a smile. ‘But you are here, in my land.’”
- The Old American Artist Twitter Excerpt Series, Number II.7.4“The early morning drive each morning from Galveston to the small regional mall over the Causeway to the mainland, was….”
- Tweets That Caught My Eye on Twitter – Nella @gigi_dreamer #EmilyDickinson“Like several of the Tweets I’ve featured in my series that’ve caught my eye, Nella’s offering is a combination image and verse, but truly wonderful in their own rights, yet, together, simply a masterpiece I think!“
- The Old American Artist Twitter Excerpt Series, Number II.7.3“One month of selling during the Christmas season in a mall would prove their true compatibility, he felt….”
- The Old American Artist Twitter Excerpt Series, Number II.7.2“In July he began cutting mats and foam board for the prints, planning and finishing small works easier to sell, and securing a December booth at a nearby regional mall.“
- The Old American Artist Twitter Excerpt Series, Number II.7.1“One more Christmas season rolled past them, as the spent the holidays visiting their children or having them back home for festive meals and teasing each other about their varied plans.“
- Adan’s Fine Art America Images # 16 – Creativity and Awareness in Yoga, Uploaded 04.11.16“My previous post in this series of my uploads to Fine Art America since early 2016, was also a strongly developed digital creation, but Creativity and Awareness in Yoga was the last of works I developed with as much interlacing of images and dimensions.“
Thanks again, everyone! 😊
Twitter / Instagram / FB @FelipeAdanLerma
Amazon Author Page – https://amzn.to/2YpgyUf
Fine Art America (FAA) – https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/felipeadan-lerma.html