Little Steps Poster ©Felipe Adan Lerma
Covid-19 and the Right to Vote
A bit of news out of my home state of Texas. For the past decade, the two main political parties of that state have battled in and out of court in regard to things vote related. Actually seemingly everything vote related, lol! 😏
Of course, this is the true course of a true democracy.
Now, I’ll admit, I have a bias, and a strong preference in regard to the issues that’ve been argued in state and federal courts during all these years – but….
I have an even stronger bias in the rule of law and interpretations of our country’s constitution.
So all that said, with so much in the news regarding how to vote during an epic pandemic, this particular round of arguments, regarding Texas’ already allowance for seniors and folks with disabilities to vote by mail, is especially interesting because the main argument for allowing vote by mail, universally, for all Texans, is predicated by the wording of “who” is disabled, and thus entitled to vote by mail during Covid-19.
The article is surprisingly, considering The AustinChronicle’s unconcealed liberal slant 😊, I think, fairly presented.
“For want of a vote”, ‘the judge wrote,’ “our democracy and the Republic would be lost and government of the people, by the people and for the people shall perish from the earth.”
The article’s not too long, another trademark of the Austin Chronicle’s reporting, but, below the article, is a string of related posts, and one can follow the dates to follow the thread.
And, at some point, in one of the articles, one can even pick up the decade long thread of the struggle between the two parties to define and either constrict or expand Texans’ voting rights, though probably neither party exactly sees it that way 😊
In the meantime, my comment on various comment threads related to this on various sites, is generally along the lines of that, meanwhile, it is our individual responsibility to 1) register to vote, 2) confirm our registration, and 3) prepare to be able to vote in person is absolutely necessary.
Sheila and I already plan to vote by mail, we’re both seniors. But, if something prevents that, we’ll wear what we need, and take what’s necessary, to endure a line to vote.
Snacks and some portable chairs are on our list ❤️
Stay well everyone! 💕
Series link – Aging Through Covid-19
Do you have good, positive, useful or encouraging info to share? Please post in the moderated comments below 😊
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- Aging Gracefully – Through Covid-19 – New Paris Paintings In-Progress: Lady in Paris 1889, Paris Arm Chair ViewNew Paris Paintings I want to have been finished with these two, lol! But they’ve needed little touches. The larger piece (20×20), Lady in Paris 1889, a true acrylic watercolor mix (a little more on that below) has needed tiny tiny touches to “unflatten” it so to speak. While the smaller 6×6 piece has needed quite a few varnish layers as the surface is too shiny in places and very matte in others. Anyone with suggestions re the latter please comment! 😊
- Aging Gracefully – During Covid-19 – SilverSneakers Stability Class at Gold’s Gym with Curt HollandRecently I uploaded a SilverSneakers stability class post, talked a little about how good the class was, both in terms of social distancing and the instructor, but hadn’t been able to get some pics – but now I have! 😊
- Aging Gracefully – During Covid-19 – The Earth is a Garden: My Most Viewed Image this Week @FineArtAmerica June 2020I’ve been uploading my paintings since starting watercoloring (late Dec ‘19) recently by completed progression, with The Earth is a Garden one of the more recent. It’s a very pleasant surprise seeing it garnish this much attention vs some of the others I thought my be stronger received. One really never knows, which is just as well, lol! Getting most views for the week, even as a temporary phenomenon, is worth perking up to 😊
- Aging Gracefully – During Covid-19 – Gardening our Balcony: Bird on Camera! ❤️Just a very quick update post w/pics Sheila caught of one of her suitors, uh, bird visitors 😊
- Aging Gracefully – During Covid-19 – Gardening our Balcony: New Bird Bath and Feeder 🐦 😊Some things are old, some new, some we got, some either our son or youngest girl and the grandson’ve given us, but nature accommodates most things in the wild, and luckily, so far, on our balcony 😊
- Aging Gracefully – During Covid-19 – Austin Covid-19 Warning re Hospital Bed Capacity by Mid-July 2020Austin has quickly reached a crossroads of choices that may or may not prevent the city and area from having to shut down again.
- Aging Gracefully – During Covid-19 – SilverSneakers Stability Class at Gold’s Gym Austin1st Live Stability Class Since March! 🤸♀️ Well, ok, we didn’t do any handstands, lol! But Sheila and I did go to our first stability class since at least early March, if not late February on Monday morning!
Thanks again, everyone! 😊
Twitter / Instagram / FB @FelipeAdanLerma
Amazon Author Page – https://amzn.to/2YpgyUf
Fine Art America (FAA) – https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/felipeadan-lerma.html