Little Steps Poster ©Felipe Adan Lerma
Covid-19 and the Right to Vote
A bit of news out of my home state of Texas. For the past decade, the two main political parties of that state have battled in and out of court in regard to things vote related. Actually seemingly everything vote related, lol! 😏
Of course, this is the true course of a true democracy.
Now, I’ll admit, I have a bias, and a strong preference in regard to the issues that’ve been argued in state and federal courts during all these years – but….
I have an even stronger bias in the rule of law and interpretations of our country’s constitution.
So all that said, with so much in the news regarding how to vote during an epic pandemic, this particular round of arguments, regarding Texas’ already allowance for seniors and folks with disabilities to vote by mail, is especially interesting because the main argument for allowing vote by mail, universally, for all Texans, is predicated by the wording of “who” is disabled, and thus entitled to vote by mail during Covid-19.
The article is surprisingly, considering The AustinChronicle’s unconcealed liberal slant 😊, I think, fairly presented.
“For want of a vote”, ‘the judge wrote,’ “our democracy and the Republic would be lost and government of the people, by the people and for the people shall perish from the earth.”
The article’s not too long, another trademark of the Austin Chronicle’s reporting, but, below the article, is a string of related posts, and one can follow the dates to follow the thread.
And, at some point, in one of the articles, one can even pick up the decade long thread of the struggle between the two parties to define and either constrict or expand Texans’ voting rights, though probably neither party exactly sees it that way 😊
In the meantime, my comment on various comment threads related to this on various sites, is generally along the lines of that, meanwhile, it is our individual responsibility to 1) register to vote, 2) confirm our registration, and 3) prepare to be able to vote in person is absolutely necessary.
Sheila and I already plan to vote by mail, we’re both seniors. But, if something prevents that, we’ll wear what we need, and take what’s necessary, to endure a line to vote.
Snacks and some portable chairs are on our list ❤️
Stay well everyone! 💕
Series link – Aging Through Covid-19
Do you have good, positive, useful or encouraging info to share? Please post in the moderated comments below 😊
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- The Old American Artist Twitter Excerpt Series, Number III.18.2“The room around them returned slowly. People approached. Congratulating them. On the show, on their togetherness. ‘Your show looks fabulous,’ Rosetta said to Arturo, ‘Macario came through.'”
- January 21, 2021 – Inauguration Day, The Day After – An Energy’s Been Unleashed!“I couldn’t decide what I’d write today!…And there can only be one reason – other than we’re one day closer to Valentines Day, my wife’s fav ❤️ — A new day has risen for America! For all of us who want it.”
- The Old American Artist Twitter Excerpt Series, Number III.18.1“Arturo caught sight of Rosetta and immediately felt his heart expand. Her legs split the fold in her dress as she stepped….”
- January 20, 2021 – Inauguration Day, A Promise of a PromiseI’ve seen Inauguration Days since I was a kid, beginning with John F. Kennedy’s. (video – https://youtu.be/PEC1C4p0k3E) I still remember how thrilled I was, and then, how shocked, when he said we should ask not what our country can do for us, but what we could do for our country, lol! What! Me? I was barely ten!
- The Old American Artist Twitter Excerpt Series, Number III.17.5“A brief gust shook the large panes ever so slightly, barely a tremor of vibration. ‘I think it’s her….'”
- January 19, 2021 – My Latest Images (Paintings, Digital, Photos) on Fine Art America“The funny thing is, this was to be a simple formatting job, getting the images I wanted into this post, lol! But at least I have a quick way to show ya’ll my most recent pics, from paintings to photos to digital work. And, when the facing image for one of my collections changes, I’ll update the pic below.”
- The Old American Artist Twitter Excerpt Series, Number III.17.4“‘I thought food was being served…’ Me too, smiled Arturo….”
Thanks again, everyone! 😊
Twitter / Instagram / FB @FelipeAdanLerma
Amazon Author Page – https://amzn.to/2YpgyUf
Fine Art America (FAA) – https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/felipeadan-lerma.html