Recently I mentioned I’m updating some of my blog posts, and one of the things I most like updating is my older posts’ Related Posts feature offered here on WordPress.
This is a feature some folks know “way” more than me, so this is just where I’m at with it and hopefully it’ll be helpful to some other folks too —
I have a kind of built in content feature via my various series (Tweets That Caught My Eye, etc) and my handful of themes, like my PhotoPoems. They’re usually referenced via a stated link, like : My Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center Series – https://felipeadanlerma.com/?s=Lady+bird+lake+wildflower+center
Any and all these things are good to do I think. And “many” of my posts prior to the last year or so relied heavily on that mode of blog referral within my site.
Relatively recently, recent to 2011 when I started my blog here on WordPress 😊 I started paying more attention to the native Related Posts feature, tinkering with its options-features, but otherwise just letting it be, below this or that other feature, usually ending up at the tail end of all my stuff on that particular post.
Now though, coinciding with paying more particular attention to my “featured image” that shows up in blog searches, and moving my Related Posts block directly behind the main content-body of that day’s post, I dug down deeper and began to find a few interesting things.
There’s a couple of points I felt not only interesting for my purposes and likes, but helpful in terms of drawing folk’s attention to my content.
Here today I’m only presenting the difference between the top image, my now preferred Related Posts visual and content setting, vs the visual-setting I relied on up to just a few weeks ago.
And it’s not a right or wrong thing.
It was, for me, a discovering an option that works better for my needs, though I did find some challenges tinkering how to get it to work best for me.
Again, there’s no right or wrong between the two. And one can even choose to showcase just a few posts. Without or without an image. And other info.
I just like the top option.
Not exclusively, for all my posts, but for most of them now.
Each post has it’s own options-setting. So adjusting is not a big deal.
But – on a live page, not my draft page, things can look “very” differently 😊
And adjusting how I craft my blog post affects that.
Why? Because Related Posts is dynamic, changing with new content. Thus, how I create and format my new post shows up within the Related Posts feature on other posts my new post is related to!
When someone named this feature “Related Posts” they sure knew what they meant, lol!
Thus the need, along with more screenshots, for more than just a stand-alone post.
Hopefully tomorrow, in Part 2, I’ll show the settings options I change to affect the look you see above.
And in Part 3, I’ll show what I finally figured out I needed to do to get the image I wanted from a post into one the boxes in Related Posts if WordPress’s formula for selecting from among my similarly tagged posts got that post into the visible posts in my Related Posts block.
In other words – feature images, their placement, plus tags, affect each other.
To me, that’s a very good thing 😊
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
My Amazon search for WordPress –
Please tap tweet above to like or share ❤️
Please click here for direct link to product in above tweet.
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- May 17, 2021 – Random (sorta) Pic of the Day, Morning View Walk in a Light RainI left off our car at a shop we’re trying out near our place for numerous routine minor stuff and walked the short distance back. Luckily I had an umbrella….
- May 16, 2021 – Random (sorta) Pic of the Day, After a Light Rain Barton CreekIt didn’t rain heavy, but it did rain off and on steadily, lol! And more of the same, some heavier, might come our way next 3 days or so. There was just enough rocks still above water I could walk out and….
- May 15, 2021 – Random (sorta) Pic of the Day, Bird Friends at Our BalconyGranted, my real life observation of birds is relatively limited, I’ve never seen this before, one Cardinal feeding two! Wonderful really, so amazed at the joy of such a tiny slice of nature ❤️ To say it’s adorable seems nearly a cliche, but adorable it is!
- May 14, 2021 – Random (sorta) Pic of the Day, First Bird to Visit Our New Balcony Brings a FriendAdding on to yesterday’s pic of our 1st bird visitor to our new balcony at our new location is, I assume 😊, the same little bird, but with a friend, her red feathered boy cardinal I think! The expressions, I think, are priceless!
- May 13, 2021 – Random (sorta) Pic of the Day, First Bird to Visit Our Balcony in Our New LocationA simple pic tonight, a simple mingling of sentiments – innocence, curiosity, hunger….
- May 13, 2021 – Our #1 Learned Lesson This Move : Number the Boxes and Make a Digital List!“Such a simple idea, and Sheila says she’s either read or heard something similar, but only occurred to me this morning searching for random items I must’ve stuffed into a box with other stuff and now can’t find them – number each box, make a list of….”
- May 12, 2021 – Random (sorta) Pic of the Day, A Little Water in Barton Creek“…here goes a short quickshot pictorial of my 1st probe of the nearest Austin nature area new to us, one we’ve never explored before; all done yesterday evening at the last moment.”
Thanks again, everyone! 😊