Recently I mentioned I’m updating some of my blog posts, and one of the things I most like updating is my older posts’ Related Posts feature offered here on WordPress.
This is a feature some folks know “way” more than me, so this is just where I’m at with it and hopefully it’ll be helpful to some other folks too —
I have a kind of built in content feature via my various series (Tweets That Caught My Eye, etc) and my handful of themes, like my PhotoPoems. They’re usually referenced via a stated link, like : My Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center Series – https://felipeadanlerma.com/?s=Lady+bird+lake+wildflower+center
Any and all these things are good to do I think. And “many” of my posts prior to the last year or so relied heavily on that mode of blog referral within my site.
Relatively recently, recent to 2011 when I started my blog here on WordPress 😊 I started paying more attention to the native Related Posts feature, tinkering with its options-features, but otherwise just letting it be, below this or that other feature, usually ending up at the tail end of all my stuff on that particular post.
Now though, coinciding with paying more particular attention to my “featured image” that shows up in blog searches, and moving my Related Posts block directly behind the main content-body of that day’s post, I dug down deeper and began to find a few interesting things.
There’s a couple of points I felt not only interesting for my purposes and likes, but helpful in terms of drawing folk’s attention to my content.
Here today I’m only presenting the difference between the top image, my now preferred Related Posts visual and content setting, vs the visual-setting I relied on up to just a few weeks ago.
And it’s not a right or wrong thing.
It was, for me, a discovering an option that works better for my needs, though I did find some challenges tinkering how to get it to work best for me.
Again, there’s no right or wrong between the two. And one can even choose to showcase just a few posts. Without or without an image. And other info.
I just like the top option.
Not exclusively, for all my posts, but for most of them now.
Each post has it’s own options-setting. So adjusting is not a big deal.
But – on a live page, not my draft page, things can look “very” differently 😊
And adjusting how I craft my blog post affects that.
Why? Because Related Posts is dynamic, changing with new content. Thus, how I create and format my new post shows up within the Related Posts feature on other posts my new post is related to!
When someone named this feature “Related Posts” they sure knew what they meant, lol!
Thus the need, along with more screenshots, for more than just a stand-alone post.
Hopefully tomorrow, in Part 2, I’ll show the settings options I change to affect the look you see above.
And in Part 3, I’ll show what I finally figured out I needed to do to get the image I wanted from a post into one the boxes in Related Posts if WordPress’s formula for selecting from among my similarly tagged posts got that post into the visible posts in my Related Posts block.
In other words – feature images, their placement, plus tags, affect each other.
To me, that’s a very good thing 😊
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
My Amazon search for WordPress –
Please tap tweet above to like or share ❤️
Please click here for direct link to product in above tweet.
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- February 26, 2021 – Day After Our 1st of 2 Covid Shots + Info re 2nd ShotThe young lady above fared fairly well 1st day after our 1st of 2 Moderna Covid shots 😊 A sore arm, a little tired, but able and willing to do today’s SilverSneakers Cardio class! Me? Well 😏
- February 25, 2021 – Got Our 1st of 2 Covid Shots Today!Reposting my FB post here…And a bit more info in general below my pic 😊
- February 25, 2021 – Austin Winter Storm, Is It a Wrap?Is our #TexasFreeze winter storm over? A wrap? Done and ready to be forgotten?
- February 24, 2021 – The Old American Artist Twitter Excerpt Series, Number I.2.1 – with CommentaryI’ve no real idea if this is common, a little common, or just plain uncommon, lol, to other artists.
- February 23, 2021 – Texas Hill Country November – circa 2021 Watercolor – Adan’s PhotoPoemsThough an abstract, I think one of the things I like best about Texas Hill Country November, is it captures a little of the sense of the authentic the Texas landscaped outside….
- February 22, 2021 – Austin Winter Storm, Power is On, Water is Running, Boil Ban is Canceled, and – I Shaved!It’s hard to express the relief in again having the taken-for-granted luxury of running water, power to heat and cool our air and bodies, and being able to stand with family, even if for a short time, even if we knew we’d all four had to have been social distancing / masking – even if out doors in our relatively fresh Austin city air.
- February 21, 2021 – Austin Winter Storm, Hope is a Wet Blue Line and One Brave Bird in a TreeMy apologies for the break in communication continuity since yesterday morning – it’s been a rough but promising ride, and, I got my own answer as to how come the phrase/idea, “Why the Caged Bird Sings” has always appealed to me 😊
Thanks again, everyone! 😊