I don’t have a favorite yet between the two above paintings-in-progress, though I love certain things about each one ❤️
First, in the vertical upper top painting above, the acrylic greens over the varying red shades of watercolor shimmer and stain and reveal the uneven watercolor coat in surprising ways; possibly also because of the textured application of light molding paste underneath both. I have an application of light molding paste in off-center left of the same figure and two dogs in the horizontal watercolor version also above, but the unexpected holiday feel of the greens and rose colors immediately appealed to my wife, so I may adjust the molding and create something more “holiday-ish” for the center. As noted, I’d tentatively titled this work, “Holiday Walk,” but I might be missing an unexpected opportunity to create a really nice holiday image here, may be with a church steeple or such. We’ll see 😊
Second, in my tentatively titled, “Fantasy Walk,” I’ve only watercolor over the light molding paste. Again I am amazed how the pigment and water soak into the grounds, and how beautifully the tones appear. I like it even better than paper, though the latter still has great appeal for me, and can take lots of “studies” a lot less expensively than on canvas coated with the absorbent grounds. Here, my challenge with the figure and her two dogs, is integrating them into the overall color scheme and sense of abstracted atmosphere. I did a little of this with an acrylic figure in an overall acrylic work recently ( Testing the Water ), but this one, with the overall background so softly intense, is gonna be more a challenge I think. Again, we’ll see 😊
Below are some detail shots for each version —
The figure in the detail above is faintly visible in the green/red acrylic, which if I decide to switch up and make more “holiday-ish”, I could wet-sand them down a bit. Or overlay more light molding paste to reflect a totally different view and (hopefully) final fulfilling feel ☺️
Immediately below is my initial textured overlay with light molding paste onto canvas. Both canvases btw are 16×20. It’s probably apparent I had a landscape with a path in mind for the lady and her two dogs to meander on.
What I didn’t count on was the oddly (to me) strangely beautiful atmospheric abstract-like feel of the overall piece. Setting the figure and her two pets in was tricky at best, but I think I pulled off that part okay. It’s gonna be painting the trio that’s gonna be make or break, or bend? 😏 😊
Have fun everyone! Stay safe, stay well! ♥️
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
My Amazon search for “light molding paste” –
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- June 29, 2022 – Someone Very Glad to See Us Today!As per yesterday, still very exhausted feeling, but Sheila & I both beginning to also feel the move-fatigue to our new place is slowly being replaced by relief fatigue….
- June 28, 2022 – Record # of 100 Degree Days in June. Then it Rained….This evening ( Monday, June 27, 2022 ) here in Austin, we broke the all-time record for number of days 100 degrees or more – and – the clouds and rain and cooler air swept through and we dared open the blinds and step outside before 10 pm, lol!
- June 27, 2022 – My Most Viewed Image this Past Week @FineArtAmerica, “Morning Light in Barton Springs Greenbelt, Austin Poster” ( circa 2021 ) #AustinTexas #AustinPhotographyLast week my most viewed image on Fine Art America was an Austin sunset image ( circa 2017 ) and this week a recent 2021 early am summer shot, “Morning Light in Barton Springs Greenbelt, Austin Poster” – an image I captured in the greenbelt on the Violet Crown trail 😊
- June 26, 2022 – Sending Me Memories : A Grandchild in #ParisI know that look, I know that stance, and I know that view 💕 Our youngest grandchild and his mom are spending a few days in Paris, and who can’t resist making a stop at the Louvre? I know Sheila and I couldn’t when we were there, lol!
- June 25, 2022 – Aging Gracefully : A Spot of Oasis in My Life From the Heat OutsideThough we again went out in the morning for chores, and held them down to groceries and some exercise, the heat finally got to me today.
- June 24, 2022 – Aging Gracefully : Doing Chores, Exercises, Eating Well and Hanging in There in 100+ Degree HeatIt’s a minute to ten, past my bedtime for all practical purposes, lol! But had to get this short post out so ya’ll will know us 70+ year olds ( wife & I ) are – so far – successfully pacing through a 2nd month of all time record high temps here in Austin.
- June 23, 2022 – El Marisquero Seafood – 1st Time Eating Outside in a Texas Summer in Decades! #FoodTruck #EastAustinThough I definitely can’t make it a habit, having a great tasting lunch break “outside” in the middle of the day in 100+ degree weather here in Austin was more than bearable – actually a pleasure!
Thanks again, everyone! 😊