Glazing with Acrylics, Oils and Watercolors | Just Paint
— Read on www.justpaint.org/glazing-with-acrylics-oils-and-watercolors/
The word “glaze” can have a very slightly different meaning whether you are painting with oils, acrylics or watercolor. In all three media, a glaze is a translucent layer of color applied on top of a base of other colors or an underpainting. This base layer could be a color field or imagery, as in the traditional techniques of imprimatura (toned ground) and grisaille (gray or neutral tonal underpainting). Layering several transparent colors on top of one another creates optical color mixtures which have a much different visual effect than physically mixing the same colors together. They can create visual depth, brilliance and luminosity.https://www.justpaint.org/glazing-with-acrylics-oils-and-watercolors/
As many of my readers know, I’ve recently been experimenting with both varnishing and glazing for the 1st time ever, with both acrylics and oils on new and older work, and this post from Stacy Brock at Just Paint and Golden Artist Colors is what gave me the understanding to be able to do so! 😊
My glazing work has been especially fascinating, especially since I’m often now working on both an acrylic and an oil painting at the same time! There’s a short sample in My Yesterday in Pictures for Dec 7th w/an image of paintings in each medium.
There’s amazing advantages to glazing in either acrylics or oils that this really excellent foundation post provides, plus for watercolors which I’m unfortunately not familiar with in any usable fashion, lol! – yet also sounds fascinating!
The initial things I’ve most appreciated discovering about glazing – esp since for decades I’ve worked almost excluding through front the paint tube – are :
- ease of adjusting & re-adjusting colors in an area
- ease of grading colors in a continuum (though still takes effort)
- good way to unify the colors and surface of a painting into cohesiveness
- creates depth
And each day I seem to learn more —
- In acrylics, since they dry so fast, I can add textured paint back on top of any glazed portion of colors and re-glaze again if I want.
- In oils I can work wet glazes into each other.
- In acrylics I can add both a drop of water and a dash of marble dust and still create a glaze.
- In oils I can add both a drop of oil and a bit of marble dust and also still create a glaze.
And I can honestly say this article from Stacy, with it comparative color charts for each individual medium, and its suggested working instructions for those mediums (including watercolors) is what’s got me going on this new creative path 😊
That, I believe, is very neat! 💕
Thanks so much everyone!
Let me know if you can if you read the article, and if you notice the subtle but distinct differences in the colors in the overlay-glazing samples for oils vs acrylics vs watercolors. Pretty Amazing!
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
You can also begin a new search from any image below 😊
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- April 10, 2021 – Interesting Tweets This WeekBelow are random tweets I liked for some reason – uplifting, funny, inspiring, informative, hopeful, pretty..something good or encouraging at the least 😊
- April 09, 2021 – Volleyball Blocker Poster, My Newest #Sports Gift Upload @FineArtAmericaQuick post to let folks know the 3rd of my seven Volleyball theme posters, Volleyball Blocker, is now available on Fine Art America as both prints and gift items!
- April 09, 2021 – Reading “How to Paint Like Turner” – Stirring Vestiges Inside Me I’d Almost Forgotten or Thrown AwayI bought this book because it has good reviews re seeing “how” JMW Turner evolved – his whole artistic life it appears – as an artist absorbed in the creative process.
- April 08, 2021 – Volleyball Poster, My Newest #Sports Gift Upload @FineArtAmericaAfter only having Volleyball Setter Poster available for a long time, I’ve finally begun uploading my full Volleyball sports poetry series, beginning with Volleyball Poster, onto Fine Art America! Additional Volleyball titles….
- April 07, 2021 – Volleyball Setter Poster 2 : Poetry, Line Art and Digital WashIt had to happen, lol! I had to finally apply my new line art with wash coloring style to one of my writings and I figured, well, my volleyball poem series has about seven titles, so they’d be a good one to create alternative choice imaging for! 😊
- April 06, 2021 – My Most Viewed Image This Week @FineArtAmerica, Inspiring Gift Writing, “Radiology Technologist”Radiology Technologist is my newest “most viewed” for a one week period at Fine Art America! 😊
- April 05, 2021 – Aging Gracefully – Through Covid-19 – Shout Out to Office Depot: Free Laminating of Our CDC Vaccination Record; Plus Playtime with Grandchild; and New Volleyball Image UploadStay well everyone! Good-night! Work and play as able / as needed – it’s our juggling game of life ♥️
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
Thanks again, everyone! 😊
Twitter / Instagram / FB @FelipeAdanLerma
Amazon Author Page – https://amzn.to/2YpgyUf
Fine Art America (FAA) – https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/felipeadan-lerma.html