Glazing with Acrylics, Oils and Watercolors | Just Paint
— Read on www.justpaint.org/glazing-with-acrylics-oils-and-watercolors/
The word “glaze” can have a very slightly different meaning whether you are painting with oils, acrylics or watercolor. In all three media, a glaze is a translucent layer of color applied on top of a base of other colors or an underpainting. This base layer could be a color field or imagery, as in the traditional techniques of imprimatura (toned ground) and grisaille (gray or neutral tonal underpainting). Layering several transparent colors on top of one another creates optical color mixtures which have a much different visual effect than physically mixing the same colors together. They can create visual depth, brilliance and luminosity.https://www.justpaint.org/glazing-with-acrylics-oils-and-watercolors/
As many of my readers know, I’ve recently been experimenting with both varnishing and glazing for the 1st time ever, with both acrylics and oils on new and older work, and this post from Stacy Brock at Just Paint and Golden Artist Colors is what gave me the understanding to be able to do so! 😊
My glazing work has been especially fascinating, especially since I’m often now working on both an acrylic and an oil painting at the same time! There’s a short sample in My Yesterday in Pictures for Dec 7th w/an image of paintings in each medium.
There’s amazing advantages to glazing in either acrylics or oils that this really excellent foundation post provides, plus for watercolors which I’m unfortunately not familiar with in any usable fashion, lol! – yet also sounds fascinating!
The initial things I’ve most appreciated discovering about glazing – esp since for decades I’ve worked almost excluding through front the paint tube – are :
- ease of adjusting & re-adjusting colors in an area
- ease of grading colors in a continuum (though still takes effort)
- good way to unify the colors and surface of a painting into cohesiveness
- creates depth
And each day I seem to learn more —
- In acrylics, since they dry so fast, I can add textured paint back on top of any glazed portion of colors and re-glaze again if I want.
- In oils I can work wet glazes into each other.
- In acrylics I can add both a drop of water and a dash of marble dust and still create a glaze.
- In oils I can add both a drop of oil and a bit of marble dust and also still create a glaze.
And I can honestly say this article from Stacy, with it comparative color charts for each individual medium, and its suggested working instructions for those mediums (including watercolors) is what’s got me going on this new creative path 😊
That, I believe, is very neat! 💕
Thanks so much everyone!
Let me know if you can if you read the article, and if you notice the subtle but distinct differences in the colors in the overlay-glazing samples for oils vs acrylics vs watercolors. Pretty Amazing!
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
You can also begin a new search from any image below 😊
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- June 20, 2021 – Happy Father’s Day!Xxxxxxxx
- June 19, 2021 – Reblog : 10 Ways To Observe #Juneteenth This Year (via Women’s Health)Reblog – Women’s Health, 10 Ways To Observe Juneteenth This Year
- June18, 2021 – What Makes Dappled Light Work? It Almost Always Looks Good!Being in and around a changing if steady light at the greenbelt near us has given me the visual impetus to actually think about something I’ve long liked in much of Renoir’s and other impressionists’ art work – dappled light.
- June 17, 2021 – Update for Delivering Art for the Reopening of The Old Bakery and Emporium (across from the State Capital) Austin, TexasAlmost a month ago I posted pics of Sheila and I making our 1st visit in over a year to the Old Bakery & Emporium where I show and sell a variety of images and writings…One of the nicer surprise developments has been a request to offer prints of my 7 unit Volleyball series.
- June 16, 2021 – Interesting Tweets I’ve Spotted RecentlyBelow are random tweets I liked for some reason – uplifting, funny, inspiring, informative, hopeful, pretty..something good or encouraging at the least 😊
- June 15, 2021 – My New Upload @FineArtAmerica – Violet Crown Trail Morning (Digital Art) PosterThough most of my hikes to the Barton Springs Greenbelt nearby are still exploratory, even when taking the 8 year old along 😊, I am beginning to recognize when I need, and want, to be there.
- June 14, 2021 – Volleyball Server Poster, My Newest #SportsPoetry Upload @FineArtAmericaLast of my 7 Volleyball theme posters, Volleyball Server Poster, is now available on Fine Art America as both prints and gift items! 😊
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
Thanks again, everyone! 😊
Twitter / Instagram / FB @FelipeAdanLerma
Amazon Author Page – https://amzn.to/2YpgyUf
Fine Art America (FAA) – https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/felipeadan-lerma.html