Glazing with Acrylics, Oils and Watercolors | Just Paint
— Read on www.justpaint.org/glazing-with-acrylics-oils-and-watercolors/
The word “glaze” can have a very slightly different meaning whether you are painting with oils, acrylics or watercolor. In all three media, a glaze is a translucent layer of color applied on top of a base of other colors or an underpainting. This base layer could be a color field or imagery, as in the traditional techniques of imprimatura (toned ground) and grisaille (gray or neutral tonal underpainting). Layering several transparent colors on top of one another creates optical color mixtures which have a much different visual effect than physically mixing the same colors together. They can create visual depth, brilliance and luminosity.https://www.justpaint.org/glazing-with-acrylics-oils-and-watercolors/
As many of my readers know, I’ve recently been experimenting with both varnishing and glazing for the 1st time ever, with both acrylics and oils on new and older work, and this post from Stacy Brock at Just Paint and Golden Artist Colors is what gave me the understanding to be able to do so! 😊
My glazing work has been especially fascinating, especially since I’m often now working on both an acrylic and an oil painting at the same time! There’s a short sample in My Yesterday in Pictures for Dec 7th w/an image of paintings in each medium.
There’s amazing advantages to glazing in either acrylics or oils that this really excellent foundation post provides, plus for watercolors which I’m unfortunately not familiar with in any usable fashion, lol! – yet also sounds fascinating!
The initial things I’ve most appreciated discovering about glazing – esp since for decades I’ve worked almost excluding through front the paint tube – are :
- ease of adjusting & re-adjusting colors in an area
- ease of grading colors in a continuum (though still takes effort)
- good way to unify the colors and surface of a painting into cohesiveness
- creates depth
And each day I seem to learn more —
- In acrylics, since they dry so fast, I can add textured paint back on top of any glazed portion of colors and re-glaze again if I want.
- In oils I can work wet glazes into each other.
- In acrylics I can add both a drop of water and a dash of marble dust and still create a glaze.
- In oils I can add both a drop of oil and a bit of marble dust and also still create a glaze.
And I can honestly say this article from Stacy, with it comparative color charts for each individual medium, and its suggested working instructions for those mediums (including watercolors) is what’s got me going on this new creative path 😊
That, I believe, is very neat! 💕
Thanks so much everyone!
Let me know if you can if you read the article, and if you notice the subtle but distinct differences in the colors in the overlay-glazing samples for oils vs acrylics vs watercolors. Pretty Amazing!
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
You can also begin a new search from any image below 😊
Painting Instruction Videos https://amzn.to/2ZNgxfi
Painting Instruction Prime Video https://amzn.to/35oeMq2
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- Aging Through Covid-19, March 31, 2020My walking, which was beginning to suffer because of pain in my legs, esp at night, has been incredibly helped by some simple shin splits stretches. The hardest part is holding the stretch for 30 seconds, lol!
- Aging Through Covid-19, March 30, 2020Though generally healthy, but in the target age group for most vulnerable, Sheila and I had early on began practicing social distancing. We also ate well, better even. More veggies. More sleep – can’t tell you what a blessing that’s been for me, lol! 😊
- New SilverSneakers Exercise Streaming Opportunity on Facebook Monday 03.23.20 10:30 CSTI’m glad SilverSneakers has already added/scheduled a followup to this week’s initial live class stream – very much looking forward to it! 💕
- Update / Review : SilverSneakers Exercise Streaming Opportunity on Facebook Thursday 03.19.20Jenny, the instructor, carried all the energy and humor and relatedness that can only be found in a live class, and only surpassed by a live class of the same caliber teacher but with equally real time feedback to the participants in the class.
- SilverSneakers Exercise Streaming Opportunity on Facebook Thursday 03.19.20At a time when so many resources are being curtailed, and much needed other health resources are just beginning to be provided, it’s good, and very welcome, that such a solid standby for seniors as SilverSneakers is providing this.
- Flowering at Dawn – New Watercolor with Absorbent Ground Painting Progress Update 03.13.20 Plus Thoughts on the Virus Crisis 😊Having interests, passions even, one can pursue, and let’s say pursue relatively easily, is important for everyone, but especially, I think, for young children and for older adults. I’ll let each person decide what an older adult, or a young child, lol, is, age-wise 💕
- Adan’s Fine Art America Images # 12 – Snow Waterfront Park Walk, Digital Art Photography circa 2016From archival prints to yoga mats and coffee mugs, see it all here – Snow Waterfront Park Walk ©Felipe Adan Lerma https://felipeadan-lerma.pixels.com/featured/snow-waterfront-park-walk-felipe-adan-lerma.html
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
Thanks again, everyone! 😊
Twitter / Instagram / FB @FelipeAdanLerma
Amazon Author Page – https://amzn.to/2YpgyUf
Fine Art America (FAA) – https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/felipeadan-lerma.html