Part of the internet package our new apt offers includes HBO Max. There’s only the one option, as a home smart technology is part and parcel of the the whole complex. We like it. Turn lights on or off, raise or lower the AC (heat when we eventually need it forever from now, lol!), and watch or don’t watch HBO Max 😊
We haven’t done much TV watching lately cause we’re still in slow motion unpacking, dr & other appts (all prev temporarily postponed) shock. Hacks caught our attention cause wife and I both like Jean Smart, the premise sounded promising (a fresh take on an old story line), the short preview looked esp good, and – most importantly right now – it’s only about a half hour long. Like any good creative variance, the show reserves the right to be a few minutes shorter or longer each time – kinda like how much space I want to cover with pigment when I paint 🎨
I immediately started liking “Hacks” from the 1st few minutes, while Sheila had to warm up to it over the course of the 1st episode. That’s ok, it took her 3 tries when I first met her to get her to go to lunch w/me, lol!
The way comedy works for me is, I either laugh or I don’t. And if I don’t, and I cringe (meaning not only not the kind of humor I like, but one I detest for the angle it takes against decency etc), then I never watch that show again.
This show, Hacks, for me, is a winner! And I’m a viewer to keep or lose now, depending on the sensibilities in future episodes.
Again, for me, it’s very promising –
It was immediately apparent to me that the sidekick, Hannah Einbinder, despite superficially arrogant and youngish-know-it-all, and Jean Smart, more experienced-ly superficially arrogant and oldish-know-it-all, were generational age mirror opposites of each other. Not exact mirrors; the glass is waved and charmingly nuanced – but yeah, they’re related deeply in comic spirit 😊
Both women have beefs, a lot of them, resentments, anger, and an unswerving (well, maybe a swerve or two, but definitely unrelenting) drive to succeed. Each has a male cohort/aid/agent/helper who is very aware of their client or boss’s blindside to the facts of the marketplace, but work, in their own way, to communicate with and help. All of them, the four, have attitudes and use people, but only to a point it seems. They also, even when not seeming to, listen.
And that’s where the 1st episode shone for me, especially in the last half or third, as pressure on the two female leads to even be able to continue threw things into a face-off, frenzy, and realizations, even if haltingly.
The sensitivity each woman exposes in tired-of-struggling glances downward or sideways, in the end, pulls them to each other, in a collaboration, of sorts, wonderfully played.
That’s when the title of the first episode morphed into it’s final nuanced meaning.
I’d like to say more about that, but I think it’d spoil things ☺️
As our 8 yr old grandchild would say, “Trust me” ❤️
This, I believe, is a half hour worth investing into the more than 50/50 chance you’ll find yourself a short gem to catch each week. Only the full season’ll prove that out, but I’m in 💕
Hoping you catch some gratifying off-time here and there!
ps – so why 4 & not 5 Stars? only ’cause it’s only 30 minutes and it’s a series; but if the quality remains (more or less) the next few weeks, it’ll be an overwhelming 5 😊
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
My Amazon search for “Jean Smart” –
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- June 23, 2021 – 2nd Update for Delivering Art for the Summer Reopening of The Old Bakery and Emporium (across from the State Capital) Austin, TexasYesterday the 8 year old and I delivered my full set of 12×18 Volleyball posters to the Old Bakery & Emporium and Mike, one of several long time consistent folks to know there, was kind enough to pose with the Texas Capitol Bldg seen through the window 😊
- June 22, 2021 – Amazon Prime Days Are Here! – Last Day Today!Amazon Prime Days June 21 & 22, 2021 😊
- June 21, 2021 – Amazon Prime Days Are Here! – June 21 & 22!Amazon Prime Days June 21 & 22, 2021 😊
- June 20, 2021 – Happy Father’s Day!I’d had several ideas what to post for today, got mired in different possible thoughts, finally settled on saving posting anything til I had my morning walk at the greenbelt, my Father’s Day morning at Barton Springs Greenbelt 😊
- June 19, 2021 – Reblog : 10 Ways To Observe #Juneteenth This Year (via Women’s Health)Reblog – Women’s Health, 10 Ways To Observe Juneteenth This Year
- June18, 2021 – What Makes Dappled Light Work? It Almost Always Looks Good!Being in and around a changing if steady light at the greenbelt near us has given me the visual impetus to actually think about something I’ve long liked in much of Renoir’s and other impressionists’ art work – dappled light.
- June 17, 2021 – Update for Delivering Art for the Reopening of The Old Bakery and Emporium (across from the State Capital) Austin, TexasAlmost a month ago I posted pics of Sheila and I making our 1st visit in over a year to the Old Bakery & Emporium where I show and sell a variety of images and writings…One of the nicer surprise developments has been a request to offer prints of my 7 unit Volleyball series.
Thanks again, everyone! 😊