My regular readers know I’ve been more and more attracted to the idea of being able to paint dappled light, consciously, and hopefully, eventually more spontaneously.
I titled my post to include both “conundrum” – which I kept misspelling til I looked it up 😊 – and “caldron” – which I keep feeling my creative heart and mind are swimming in (over their heads) lol!
I’ve viewed a few videos, read a few articles, and scratched out a few studies – but – realized the other night I was pursuing too haphazardly.
I realized I need to do more than dabble with something so dappled 😏 — so I saved a chunk of YouTube videos to a category folder I named “dappled light”, created an image album of samples images I like (also named “dappled light”, and started searching for articles.
Among the things I’ve noticed are —
- Some artists used a lot of the same size same shape dapples – which is fine of course
- The medium the artist uses can deeply affect the intensity and shapes of dapples
- Mixtures of soft and hard edge dapples won’t in themselves ruin or hurt an image
- If the light/shadow dappling source, ie, manmade things (power lines, fences etc) or trees or clouds is not visible, there’s a certain magic for what makes the dappled light on the ground or person or building etc actually work
- Whether the artist is realist (even hyper-realist), impressionist, or strongly expressionist does not seem to affect the effect of the dappled light, except within that art style itself and how it affects the viewer and his or her preferences
- Even abstract art can have its own sense of dappled-ness! (See tweet further below)
- And, it’s much easier for me to “see” dappled light and capture it photographically, than it is for me to paint (see image further below), and I want to change that, balance it out much more, even if impressionistically vs photo-realist (the latter never being something I did, never having the patience and skill set).
My goal for now, though more focussedly ( if such a word 😊 ) is to continue studying, continue building a body of line drawings to practice upon, and start to more steadily ( that’s a word ☺️ ) share what I learn as I learn it.
Like cooking (at least with me, lol!) some creations will be really good, and some’ll be a huge mess!
But if I really want to learn how “I” want to do dappled light, this is my only way.
I couldn’t decide, from all the list above, where to start –
So I went back to a blog post about one of my watercolors on paper I’d titled, “Figureshttps://felipeadanlerma.com/2021/09/07/september-04-2021-figures-in-a-landscape-study-im-calling-it-done-but-i-know-its-not/ in a Landscape Study” – I’m Calling it Done! (but I know it’s not) – knowing it wasn’t the right size figures for the light variations I wanted, but the easiest thing I could get to, and just dig into it making it more what I’d like with all these “dappled” thoughts in my head, lol!
And that’s the header image above.
Question is, do I think it’s finished now – uh, no, lol!
I seeing some things though I think I can use more of to bring it to closure, I hope 😊
Meanwhile, here’s two samples below illustrating ideas from my list top of the post (abstract-dappled art & photo-dappled art) —
It’s not much of an iron clad plan, as a path through the beautiful forest of art around me.
I can deal with that – heck, I think I’ll love that! ❤️
Stay well everyone! 💕
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
My Amazon search for “dappled light, in books” didn’t bring up what I’d hoped (books with pics of dappled light) but did bring up lots of choices of books where dappled light figured in the title and probably the story or poetry choices offered, kinda nice – tweeted an example below 😊
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- July 04, 2022 – Happy 4th of July! 🇺🇸Very little to say and so much to feel and think about this great country of ours.
- July 03, 2022 – My Most Viewed Image this Past Week @FineArtAmerica, “We Are the United States of America” : circa 2016 #DigitalPosterIronic, or simply apropos, seeing as tomorrow is the 4th of July, America’s anniversary birthday, my poster from 2016, “We Are the United States of America” was most viewed this past week on Fine Art America ❤️
- July 02, 2022 – #CrescentMoon at Sunset, Austin TexasI hoped, in yesterday’s post, I might be able to post this sunset off our balcony – a crescent moon floating above the sea of crimson orange air – and am so glad I could 🙏
- July 01, 2022 – Our First Pigeon at Our New Place Shows Up for Food, Atop Our New Ivy ScreenSheila and I’ve gotten to experience several 1st’s since moving into The LadyBird here in Austin, so it was specially nice when two 1st’s joined to make a memorable image through our window –
- June 30, 2022 – My Art and Prints on Special Sale At Primal Gallery 4th of July Weekend!Primal Gallery 4th of July sale! Including both my art work and posters 😊
- June 29, 2022 – Someone Very Glad to See Us Today!As per yesterday, still very exhausted feeling, but Sheila & I both beginning to also feel the move-fatigue to our new place is slowly being replaced by relief fatigue….
- June 28, 2022 – Record # of 100 Degree Days in June. Then it Rained….This evening ( Monday, June 27, 2022 ) here in Austin, we broke the all-time record for number of days 100 degrees or more – and – the clouds and rain and cooler air swept through and we dared open the blinds and step outside before 10 pm, lol!
Thanks again, everyone! 😊