My regular readers know I’ve been more and more attracted to the idea of being able to paint dappled light, consciously, and hopefully, eventually more spontaneously.
I titled my post to include both “conundrum” – which I kept misspelling til I looked it up 😊 – and “caldron” – which I keep feeling my creative heart and mind are swimming in (over their heads) lol!
I’ve viewed a few videos, read a few articles, and scratched out a few studies – but – realized the other night I was pursuing too haphazardly.
I realized I need to do more than dabble with something so dappled 😏 — so I saved a chunk of YouTube videos to a category folder I named “dappled light”, created an image album of samples images I like (also named “dappled light”, and started searching for articles.
Among the things I’ve noticed are —
- Some artists used a lot of the same size same shape dapples – which is fine of course
- The medium the artist uses can deeply affect the intensity and shapes of dapples
- Mixtures of soft and hard edge dapples won’t in themselves ruin or hurt an image
- If the light/shadow dappling source, ie, manmade things (power lines, fences etc) or trees or clouds is not visible, there’s a certain magic for what makes the dappled light on the ground or person or building etc actually work
- Whether the artist is realist (even hyper-realist), impressionist, or strongly expressionist does not seem to affect the effect of the dappled light, except within that art style itself and how it affects the viewer and his or her preferences
- Even abstract art can have its own sense of dappled-ness! (See tweet further below)
- And, it’s much easier for me to “see” dappled light and capture it photographically, than it is for me to paint (see image further below), and I want to change that, balance it out much more, even if impressionistically vs photo-realist (the latter never being something I did, never having the patience and skill set).
My goal for now, though more focussedly ( if such a word 😊 ) is to continue studying, continue building a body of line drawings to practice upon, and start to more steadily ( that’s a word ☺️ ) share what I learn as I learn it.
Like cooking (at least with me, lol!) some creations will be really good, and some’ll be a huge mess!
But if I really want to learn how “I” want to do dappled light, this is my only way.
I couldn’t decide, from all the list above, where to start –
So I went back to a blog post about one of my watercolors on paper I’d titled, “Figureshttps://felipeadanlerma.com/2021/09/07/september-04-2021-figures-in-a-landscape-study-im-calling-it-done-but-i-know-its-not/ in a Landscape Study” – I’m Calling it Done! (but I know it’s not) – knowing it wasn’t the right size figures for the light variations I wanted, but the easiest thing I could get to, and just dig into it making it more what I’d like with all these “dappled” thoughts in my head, lol!
And that’s the header image above.
Question is, do I think it’s finished now – uh, no, lol!
I seeing some things though I think I can use more of to bring it to closure, I hope 😊
Meanwhile, here’s two samples below illustrating ideas from my list top of the post (abstract-dappled art & photo-dappled art) —
It’s not much of an iron clad plan, as a path through the beautiful forest of art around me.
I can deal with that – heck, I think I’ll love that! ❤️
Stay well everyone! 💕
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
My Amazon search for “dappled light, in books” didn’t bring up what I’d hoped (books with pics of dappled light) but did bring up lots of choices of books where dappled light figured in the title and probably the story or poetry choices offered, kinda nice – tweeted an example below 😊
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- August 19, 2022 – “Fantasy Walk” and “Walking in Light” in New Juried Art Show at Inspired Mind Art Center!The show overall has a great selection! Here’s a small sampling, with photos of the show from fellow Austin artist, Leslie Kell
- August 18, 2022 – #Inflation or #Deflation or Any One Nation : #ClimageChange Doesn’t Seem to Care…It’s Pervasively Here Now….It’s rare lately I post a second post the same day, but the news about the climate we all live within and depend on, is pervasive, even appearing on our local Austin Fox News news-scroll!
- August 18, 2022 – A Beginner’s View : Inflation, the Economy, Climate, Clean Energy, Health etc, How Are They Related in Our Current Everyday Lives? – An On-Going Inquiry, Part 2..life, unpredictable, full of both pleasant and difficult surprises – plus easy, and not so easy choices. That’s what the articles I’ve been reading also seem to reflect….
- August 17, 2022 – A Beginner’s View : Inflation, the Economy, Climate, Clean Energy, Health etc, How Are They Related in Our Current Everyday Lives? – An On-Going Inquiry, Part 1I’ve no idea how long this series on climate etc will run, but I need some kind of framework to place pieces of information together that are helping me understand the rapidly changing potentially deteriorating world we live in.
- August 16, 2022 – Me, 1st Full Day Without a Beard for “Awhile”Sheila patiently re-posed me for a re-take of my no-beard pic today….
- August 15, 2022 – Me, Last Day With a Beard for “Awhile”A very quick post this evening – had my pre-op appt with my surgeon for a slew of breathing related fixes he and my my ENT dr / surgeon will do together..and this is me with my several-years long beard I’ve sported 😊
- August 14, 2022 – My Most Viewed Image this Past Week @FineArtAmerica, “Time at the Musee d’Orsay” : circa 2012I would hope Sheila and I get to make at least one more wonderful extended trip to Paris 🙏 ❤️ 🇫🇷
Thanks again, everyone! 😊