Little Steps Poster ©Felipe Adan Lerma
White Black Absorbent Ground Watercolor 6x6s Early May 2020
Dancing Between the Lines
I missed posting yesterday, don’t remember why, lol, but I was working on the small painting below, Dancing Between the Lines.
It doesn’t have the sparse clean contrast of my previous 3 watercolors on black absorbent ground. This also is on white absorbent ground and my challenges are very different. More colors, harder (for me) to create value contrast, something I’m determined to work on.
But I do like expressiveness, and the real life work is much softer, the evening light I shot this in of course being very different in its slant, but still gives a good rendition of the work itself.
And my wife likes it, more so than the 3 BW works done previously.
I like both styles. But am feeling myself pulled more and more often to the black ground and the way I can make the white gouache stand out or be quite subtle.
Either way, I very much liking doing figure work again more steadily, something I did more of in the 80s with acrylics, then moved on from because I couldn’t quite get the form-feel I wanted, like I had with plain charcoal on paper way back then.
I think that’s one of the things I’m beginning to see, working with watercolor, and especially so on black absorbent ground with white watercolor gouache, it’s beginning to feel and remind me of some of what I felt then, early to late 80s, over 30 years ago!
With charcoal I could easily erase, even if it left a “cloud” of sorts at times. Same thing seems to occur with white watercolor gouache on black absorbent ground, even though I hadn’t made that connection till today!
Also both means of imaging remained strongly BW, even if to degrees. And both allowed me to do my more favorite renditions of figure work – expressive, suggestive.
And that, is something I do want to pay attention to 😊
Maybe even part of why I chose Little Steps Poster as my Covid series heading image to start with! ❤️
Stay well everyone! An intense challenge as folks start moving around again – wishing us all well in our national experiment, lol! Plus prayers for all for whom, even the small deflecting humor is not something possible, myself included at times 💕
Series link – Aging Through Covid-19
Do you have good, positive, useful or encouraging info to share? Please post in the moderated comments below 😊
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
Painting Instruction Videos https://amzn.to/2ZNgxfi
Painting Instruction Prime Video https://amzn.to/35oeMq2
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- Easy Morning – New Watercolor #FigureArt on Absorbent Ground, May 2020Easy Morning, new watercolor on absorbent ground 6×6 gallery wrap canvas #figureart My newest figure work had the usual tug and pull process painting it 😊 I really like the soft gentle feel of it, and especially like the look my wife got seeing it ❤️
- At Rest With Nature – New Watercolor on Absorbent Ground, May 2020At Peace With Nature has several firsts for me. One, it’s a 5×7 stretched canvas, another size like my recent 6×12, A Walk Among the Wildflowers, I haven’t done in quite awhile, certainly even further back by maybe even decades, lol! It’s an interesting size, being small, yet enabling and enhancing the sense of length or height, like the 6×12, but more subtly.
- Aging Through Covid-19, May 27, 2020Personal Transitions During Stay-at-Home Distancing No BIG in the typical sense of what I tend to think “big” life change/transitions are, but with no blog post for 5 or 6 days, I gave up figuring out the exact # of days, lol, I felt compelled to say a little something.
- Aging Through Covid-19, May 26, 2020Photo Lessons for Dummies by BE KITSCHIG is a superb humor laden look at the all too common pitfalls and inadvertent mistakes we all non-professionals make with our cameras 😂
- A Walk Among the WildFlowers – New Watercolor on Absorbent Ground, May 2020As one can tell by my photo below, I took a few liberties, but to some extent, that happens whether I plan it or not, lol 😂 But I like the result too much to alter anything on it. Another version, another time, will elicit a different response, and I do think this is one motif I’ll want to do more of, vs variations for just practice 😊
- Aging Through Covid-19, May 20, 2020A bit of news out of my home state of Texas. For the past decade, the two main political parties of that state have battled in and out of court in regard to things vote related. Actually seemingly everything vote related, lol!
- Covid-19 Visit to Lady Bird Wildflower Center May 2020 💐First trip I can think of for Sheila & myself, much less with Max, since maybe pre-Covid! 💕 Short, less than 2 hours, and less than 15 minutes from home, but what a treat! 😊
Thanks again, everyone! 😊
Twitter / Instagram / FB @FelipeAdanLerma
Amazon Author Page – https://amzn.to/2YpgyUf
Fine Art America (FAA) – https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/felipeadan-lerma.html