Little Steps Poster ©Felipe Adan Lerma
White Black Absorbent Ground Watercolor 6x6s Early May 2020
Dancing Between the Lines
I missed posting yesterday, don’t remember why, lol, but I was working on the small painting below, Dancing Between the Lines.
It doesn’t have the sparse clean contrast of my previous 3 watercolors on black absorbent ground. This also is on white absorbent ground and my challenges are very different. More colors, harder (for me) to create value contrast, something I’m determined to work on.
But I do like expressiveness, and the real life work is much softer, the evening light I shot this in of course being very different in its slant, but still gives a good rendition of the work itself.
And my wife likes it, more so than the 3 BW works done previously.
I like both styles. But am feeling myself pulled more and more often to the black ground and the way I can make the white gouache stand out or be quite subtle.
Either way, I very much liking doing figure work again more steadily, something I did more of in the 80s with acrylics, then moved on from because I couldn’t quite get the form-feel I wanted, like I had with plain charcoal on paper way back then.
I think that’s one of the things I’m beginning to see, working with watercolor, and especially so on black absorbent ground with white watercolor gouache, it’s beginning to feel and remind me of some of what I felt then, early to late 80s, over 30 years ago!
With charcoal I could easily erase, even if it left a “cloud” of sorts at times. Same thing seems to occur with white watercolor gouache on black absorbent ground, even though I hadn’t made that connection till today!
Also both means of imaging remained strongly BW, even if to degrees. And both allowed me to do my more favorite renditions of figure work – expressive, suggestive.
And that, is something I do want to pay attention to 😊
Maybe even part of why I chose Little Steps Poster as my Covid series heading image to start with! ❤️
Stay well everyone! An intense challenge as folks start moving around again – wishing us all well in our national experiment, lol! Plus prayers for all for whom, even the small deflecting humor is not something possible, myself included at times 💕
Series link – Aging Through Covid-19
Do you have good, positive, useful or encouraging info to share? Please post in the moderated comments below 😊
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- May 15, 2021 – Random (sorta) Pic of the Day, Bird Friends at Our BalconyGranted, my real life observation of birds is relatively limited, I’ve never seen this before, one Cardinal feeding two! Wonderful really, so amazed at the joy of such a tiny slice of nature ❤️ To say it’s adorable seems nearly a cliche, but adorable it is!
- May 14, 2021 – Random (sorta) Pic of the Day, First Bird to Visit Our New Balcony Brings a FriendAdding on to yesterday’s pic of our 1st bird visitor to our new balcony at our new location is, I assume 😊, the same little bird, but with a friend, her red feathered boy cardinal I think! The expressions, I think, are priceless!
- May 13, 2021 – Random (sorta) Pic of the Day, First Bird to Visit Our Balcony in Our New LocationA simple pic tonight, a simple mingling of sentiments – innocence, curiosity, hunger….
- May 13, 2021 – Our #1 Learned Lesson This Move : Number the Boxes and Make a Digital List!“Such a simple idea, and Sheila says she’s either read or heard something similar, but only occurred to me this morning searching for random items I must’ve stuffed into a box with other stuff and now can’t find them – number each box, make a list of….”
- May 12, 2021 – Random (sorta) Pic of the Day, A Little Water in Barton Creek“…here goes a short quickshot pictorial of my 1st probe of the nearest Austin nature area new to us, one we’ve never explored before; all done yesterday evening at the last moment.”
- May 12, 2021 – Random (sorta) Pic of the Day, Map for Barton Creek Greenbelt Near Us via Google Maps“…here goes a short quickshot pictorial of my 1st probe of the nearest Austin nature area new to us, one we’ve never explored before; all done yesterday evening at the last moment.”
- May 11, 2021 – Random (sorta) Pic of the Day, Absorbing Nature“…here goes a short quickshot pictorial of my 1st probe of the nearest Austin nature area new to us, one we’ve never explored before; all done yesterday evening at the last moment.”
Thanks again, everyone! 😊