My wife & I both take a lot of pleasure showing & teaching the 8 year old about the myriad mass of cultural and nutritional and miscellaneous details of living nowadays (sometimes as vs when “we” grew up, lol!) – but often enough, he likes to feel he’s returning the favor. He is almost always doing such, usually without realizing it, so I wanted to make it more concrete, for him. This is one such instance.
He’d already done his usual jump-skip over piles of rocks along the greenbelt, many much more visible than usual due to the lack of rain (at least til the other night when it poured!) and I told him I was gonna jump over a couple of chasms myself 😊
This is him doing his easy flow over the field of rocks —
So I tossed him my phone (ie, camera), pressed my hat tighter onto my head, and wished I could have had a shot of the look on his face of, “Really, grandpa?” 😊
From the moment I pressed my foot to the firm surface of the lave like rock below me, I made a little prayer, took a short firm breath, and envisioned crossing the (roughly) 3 1/2 gap to the other rock. The drop was far, but it’d been deep and uneven enough to potentially cause me a problem.
Gauging the speed I needed, plus the foot spacing I needed to safely launch, were all the filled my mind that moment —
And in less than a second it was that time of the moment of no return. Like the younger folk jumping off the small cliff just a bit further down stream. There’s a moment one can’t turn back, literally —
Sailing in the air is but a second. All of it spent eyeing where I was gonna plant my foot, lol!
That first firm step and press onto the rock past the small gulf was all I needed! From there momentum alone would at the least tumble me safe onto the rock! Well, maybe not safe, if I tumbled forward — 😏 But I did make it! 😊
I may’ve been better off having the 8 year old shoot a video, but I don’t know. This is still pretty cool. It’s as good for me as I hope these memories will be for him ♥️
I also think that was one of my mom’s highest motivating desires – leaving a natural imprint of the good in life in the children that entered her life.
If there was one dominant group of people at her service and burial recently, it was the sheer number of children, some almost grown, some thinking they were grown 😊 and some still all too happy to be little 💕
For me, for now, doing this one-off jump, and glad to settle back into more fluid, softer motions, is my small contribution ☺️
Stay well all, it’s usually well worth it!
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
My Amazon search for “family poetry” –
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- June 29, 2022 – Someone Very Glad to See Us Today!As per yesterday, still very exhausted feeling, but Sheila & I both beginning to also feel the move-fatigue to our new place is slowly being replaced by relief fatigue….
- June 28, 2022 – Record # of 100 Degree Days in June. Then it Rained….This evening ( Monday, June 27, 2022 ) here in Austin, we broke the all-time record for number of days 100 degrees or more – and – the clouds and rain and cooler air swept through and we dared open the blinds and step outside before 10 pm, lol!
- June 27, 2022 – My Most Viewed Image this Past Week @FineArtAmerica, “Morning Light in Barton Springs Greenbelt, Austin Poster” ( circa 2021 ) #AustinTexas #AustinPhotographyLast week my most viewed image on Fine Art America was an Austin sunset image ( circa 2017 ) and this week a recent 2021 early am summer shot, “Morning Light in Barton Springs Greenbelt, Austin Poster” – an image I captured in the greenbelt on the Violet Crown trail 😊
- June 26, 2022 – Sending Me Memories : A Grandchild in #ParisI know that look, I know that stance, and I know that view 💕 Our youngest grandchild and his mom are spending a few days in Paris, and who can’t resist making a stop at the Louvre? I know Sheila and I couldn’t when we were there, lol!
- June 25, 2022 – Aging Gracefully : A Spot of Oasis in My Life From the Heat OutsideThough we again went out in the morning for chores, and held them down to groceries and some exercise, the heat finally got to me today.
- June 24, 2022 – Aging Gracefully : Doing Chores, Exercises, Eating Well and Hanging in There in 100+ Degree HeatIt’s a minute to ten, past my bedtime for all practical purposes, lol! But had to get this short post out so ya’ll will know us 70+ year olds ( wife & I ) are – so far – successfully pacing through a 2nd month of all time record high temps here in Austin.
- June 23, 2022 – El Marisquero Seafood – 1st Time Eating Outside in a Texas Summer in Decades! #FoodTruck #EastAustinThough I definitely can’t make it a habit, having a great tasting lunch break “outside” in the middle of the day in 100+ degree weather here in Austin was more than bearable – actually a pleasure!
Thanks again, everyone! 😊