In Defense of Renoir, Art Criticism via Eric Wayne
— with lots and lots and yes, I mean, lots of visual samples of Renoir’s work ❤️
This is a reblog I’ve been wanting to do for awhile but hadn’t been able to work in. My own work, at least in painting, leans mostly toward an Impressionist style, so I’m very glad to finally present Eric and his art essay.
As the title indicates, Eric is defending an artist I’d always assumed was still one of the most beloved of all time, and especially among the impressionists. Renoir is my wife’s favorite artist, and 1-2 with Monet for me, the two often switching positions as to which is my fav, lol! 😊
I won’t do any of the heavy lifting regarding the “defense” of Renoir. After reading Eric’s long but exceptionally thorough critique, I feel I both know more and can refer back to Eric’s thoughts for any intellectual understanding why both my wife & I feel as favorably toward Renoir as we do.
The article has an Intro, and two main sections
- Part 1: Renoir Sucks at Painting
- Part 2: Renoir is a Sexist Pig-man
Keep in mind Eric presents what he’s seen or heard as criticism of Renoir as an artist, then details very clear rebuttals, many of which are presented – I think – in a wry entertaining, almost sardonically satisfying fashion 😊
Also, considering that Eric’s own work is “very” contemporary and digital, and to me very sci-fi-like, this is also a testament to Eric’s awareness of art as art, painting as painting, and differentiates in a keen mental awareness (even more in some of his other essays) between what’s a gimmick, and what is art.
As mentioned at top, Eric also includes tons of visual samples of Renoir’s work, and has an interesting comment thread 😊
And if you’d like to see my own Impressionist suggestions (books, videos and more) on my Impressionism Idea page on Amazon, it’s at – https://www.amazon.com/shop/felipeadanlerma .
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
More Impressionist Product Ideas Below
You can also begin a new search from any image below 😊
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- July 31, 2021 – Prepping a New 16×20 Acrylic, Working Title : Testing the WaterThe initial goal was to simply select and mark the area for my figure. Then I freely applied Golden’s light molding paste, leaving the selected area for my figure much more level, and forming the paste into potentially vegetative designs as inspiration and malleable ground meshed —
- July 30, 2021 – What a Difference a New Keyboard Makes : LENRICH iPad pro 12.9 case with keyboardThis is an older now discontinued keyboard, but one of the few still available for my IPad Pro 2nd generation model (current model is 5th generation I believe), but I’m impressed with it enough to post about it and (if all continues well) my renewed ease of use not having to use the onscreen keyboard for blog posts, emails etc – that’s a big deal for me, lol! 😊
- July 29, 2021 – Whew! Yesterday Was a Day of Plowing Through, lol!Above is a picture of me November 2019 (notice the weather is warm but hot, finally 😊) and I look just a bit worn out? I’d just climbed the 218 steps to top of Old Baldy near Wimberley Texas! That’s kinda how I felt yesterday, only without as nice a view, lol! I’ll just say that….
- July 28, 2021 – New 25×40 #Acrylic on Canvas In-Progress : Barton Springs Greenbelt Indian SummerA chore heat filled day where my keyboard evidently is deciding it’s had it, lol! Hopefully I finish this post 😊 Basically I started the groundwork for my newest painting, acrylic, wanting to settle on my composition before hand, unlike how I handled my just finished watercolor, same size, where I inserted my figure at the end.
- July 27, 2021 – 4 Weeks Running! My Most Viewed Image For the Week @FineArtAmerica, Summer is a Lady : #Watercolor on Paper #ContemporaryImpressionismI’m sure I’ve had images repeat as most viewed 4 times in a row, but I wasn’t paying as much attention to that as I try to nowadays 😊 Summer is a Lady continues to simmer atop my selection of photos and artwork and illustrated poetry ♥️
- July 26, 2021 – Where I Left Off Before Our Trip, New #Watercolor on Canvas Completed : Barton Springs Greenbelt Indian SummerI just took another look at my newly completed painting (above) to try for some settled sentiment I can include for my post, and I do have that – some settled sentiment. I’m still digesting and assimilating what this new work means to me. Though I know it’s incomplete, because I also know this work is more a conscious marker of where I want to head, and feel compelled to head toward, I do have a grasp enough to point out some things that are making themselves more known to me.
- July 25, 2021 – Where I Left Off Before Our Trip, New Watercolor on Canvas in-progress, Developing the Right Figure to AddAs you can tell from my top pic, my efforts to progress from my value study and digital studies below are not going great, lol! I take solace from several things —