In Defense of Renoir, Art Criticism via Eric Wayne
— with lots and lots and yes, I mean, lots of visual samples of Renoir’s work ❤️
This is a reblog I’ve been wanting to do for awhile but hadn’t been able to work in. My own work, at least in painting, leans mostly toward an Impressionist style, so I’m very glad to finally present Eric and his art essay.
As the title indicates, Eric is defending an artist I’d always assumed was still one of the most beloved of all time, and especially among the impressionists. Renoir is my wife’s favorite artist, and 1-2 with Monet for me, the two often switching positions as to which is my fav, lol! 😊
I won’t do any of the heavy lifting regarding the “defense” of Renoir. After reading Eric’s long but exceptionally thorough critique, I feel I both know more and can refer back to Eric’s thoughts for any intellectual understanding why both my wife & I feel as favorably toward Renoir as we do.
The article has an Intro, and two main sections
- Part 1: Renoir Sucks at Painting
- Part 2: Renoir is a Sexist Pig-man
Keep in mind Eric presents what he’s seen or heard as criticism of Renoir as an artist, then details very clear rebuttals, many of which are presented – I think – in a wry entertaining, almost sardonically satisfying fashion 😊
Also, considering that Eric’s own work is “very” contemporary and digital, and to me very sci-fi-like, this is also a testament to Eric’s awareness of art as art, painting as painting, and differentiates in a keen mental awareness (even more in some of his other essays) between what’s a gimmick, and what is art.
As mentioned at top, Eric also includes tons of visual samples of Renoir’s work, and has an interesting comment thread 😊
And if you’d like to see my own Impressionist suggestions (books, videos and more) on my Impressionism Idea page on Amazon, it’s at – https://www.amazon.com/shop/felipeadanlerma .
Twitter / Instagram / FB @FelipeAdanLerma
Amazon Author Page – https://amzn.to/2YpgyUf
Fine Art America (FAA) – https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/felipeadan-lerma.html
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
More Impressionist Product Ideas Below
You can also begin a new search from any image below 😊
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- The Old American Artist Twitter Excerpt Series, Number III.17.3“‘…come! We must present you,’ Macario smiled, wrapping the air with his arm around Arturo as if placing an elegant cloak on his back.”
- January 17, 2021 – Selling 3 Small Originals at Buda Mercantile! Part 1Today was a good day for my 1st day back this year with my art at Buda Mercantile.
- January 16, 2021 – My Three Most Popular Posts the 1st Half of January – Volleyball Setter Back in Stock (my original 1994 sports writing), Arteza and Richard Bernabe (November 2020 most popular posts report), and Margaret Hall (Sketching Outside in Winter with Watercolour)My 2021 blog posts are already showing their hand, with the arts (poetry, photography, painting) being the big draws, each post with their own subject matter to the artist or poet 😊
- January 15, 2021 – Placing a Few More WordAds in My Posts, For NowJust a quick post to let folks know I’ll have a few more WordAds in my posts. I’ve had one or so at or near the bottom of my posts, now I’ll also have one or more in the sidebar.
- The Old American Artist Twitter Excerpt Series, Number III.17.2“Arturo had arrived along this stretch of the Mediterranean with Rosetta less than a year ago….”
- January 14, 2021 – Grande Roue de Paris Night, Photography circa 2012, Adan’s PhotoPoemsGrande Roue de Paris Night, Photography – Adan’s PhotoPoems, “Reaching into the heights of night….”
- The Old American Artist Twitter Excerpt Series, Number III.17.1“Freshly bathed and dressed in the deep blues of the ocean night nearby, Arturo entered the main ballroom reserved for art shows, weddings, graduations, conventions, and political gatherings. Almost anything anyone could pay or trade for.”
My Related Posts Here On My Blog