In Defense of Renoir, Art Criticism via Eric Wayne
— with lots and lots and yes, I mean, lots of visual samples of Renoir’s work ❤️
This is a reblog I’ve been wanting to do for awhile but hadn’t been able to work in. My own work, at least in painting, leans mostly toward an Impressionist style, so I’m very glad to finally present Eric and his art essay.
As the title indicates, Eric is defending an artist I’d always assumed was still one of the most beloved of all time, and especially among the impressionists. Renoir is my wife’s favorite artist, and 1-2 with Monet for me, the two often switching positions as to which is my fav, lol! 😊
I won’t do any of the heavy lifting regarding the “defense” of Renoir. After reading Eric’s long but exceptionally thorough critique, I feel I both know more and can refer back to Eric’s thoughts for any intellectual understanding why both my wife & I feel as favorably toward Renoir as we do.
The article has an Intro, and two main sections
- Part 1: Renoir Sucks at Painting
- Part 2: Renoir is a Sexist Pig-man
Keep in mind Eric presents what he’s seen or heard as criticism of Renoir as an artist, then details very clear rebuttals, many of which are presented – I think – in a wry entertaining, almost sardonically satisfying fashion 😊
Also, considering that Eric’s own work is “very” contemporary and digital, and to me very sci-fi-like, this is also a testament to Eric’s awareness of art as art, painting as painting, and differentiates in a keen mental awareness (even more in some of his other essays) between what’s a gimmick, and what is art.
As mentioned at top, Eric also includes tons of visual samples of Renoir’s work, and has an interesting comment thread 😊
And if you’d like to see my own Impressionist suggestions (books, videos and more) on my Impressionism Idea page on Amazon, it’s at – https://www.amazon.com/shop/felipeadanlerma .
Twitter / Instagram / FB @FelipeAdanLerma
Amazon Author Page – https://amzn.to/2YpgyUf
Fine Art America (FAA, Pixels) – https://felipeadan-lerma.pixels.com/
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
More Impressionist Product Ideas Below
You can also begin a new search from any image below 😊
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- January 01, 2023 – Happy New Year! : My Most Viewed Image the Last Week of 2022 @FineArtAmerica, Little Steps PosterA wonderfully fitting image as my most viewed this past week, the last week, of 2022 – Little Steps, my poster version ❤️ 🙏 ☺️
- December 18, 2022 – 1st Return Appearance Since Spring : My Most Viewed Image this Past Week @FineArtAmerica, Blue with Gold Twilight – #PanoramaOcean waves of blue fill our skies and seas, cascading sighs and whispers of inspiration with each breath.
- December 11, 2022 – My Most Viewed Image this Past Week @FineArtAmerica, “Morning Light in Barton Springs Greenbelt, Austin Poster” ( circa 2021 ) #AustinTexas #AustinPhotographyMorning Light Poster also recently sold at the Old Bakery and Emporium 🙏😌
- December 03, 2022 – My Most Viewed Image this Past Week @FineArtAmerica, “Costa Rica Sunset Panorama” : circa 2017I almost skipped even posting about it, but at 4x the views of the nearest most viewed of my images, I needed to drag myself out of my whatever-it-is recent posting stagnation, lol!
- November 21, 2022 – My Most Viewed Image this Past Week @FineArtAmerica, “Dispatcher” : circa 2011I thought Dispatcher had once already been one of my most viewed of my work on Fine Art America, but I guess not! 😊 It’s been a popular poem, and with the holidays upon us, a great choice as a print or coffee mug ☕️ 🇺🇸
- November 13, 2022 – My Most Viewed Image this Past Week @FineArtAmerica, “Cypress Creek Mid Afternoon Mid October” : Circa 2019Very unusual to have so many photos from my collection of images at Fine Art America show up among my 12 most viewed images there at FAA, and for so many showing up for the 1st time….
- November 08, 2022 – The Mid-Term Elections 2022 : This is It! If the Elections Are Important to You…VOTE!!!If the elections are important to you – vote! 😊🇺🇸🙏
[…] landscape (real or abstract or in-between) and human figure where both matter, much as I see with Renoir and Berthe Morisot, and more contemporaneously with our own time, folks like Steve Henderson on […]
LikeLiked by 1 person
[…] than in so to speak 😊 so we’ll just have to see.Meanwhile, hope you get to take a peek at my Renoir reblog posted today. The article it links to is chock full of samples of his work, some I’d never seen before, and […]
LikeLiked by 1 person