In Defense of Renoir, Art Criticism via Eric Wayne
— with lots and lots and yes, I mean, lots of visual samples of Renoir’s work ❤️
This is a reblog I’ve been wanting to do for awhile but hadn’t been able to work in. My own work, at least in painting, leans mostly toward an Impressionist style, so I’m very glad to finally present Eric and his art essay.
As the title indicates, Eric is defending an artist I’d always assumed was still one of the most beloved of all time, and especially among the impressionists. Renoir is my wife’s favorite artist, and 1-2 with Monet for me, the two often switching positions as to which is my fav, lol! 😊
I won’t do any of the heavy lifting regarding the “defense” of Renoir. After reading Eric’s long but exceptionally thorough critique, I feel I both know more and can refer back to Eric’s thoughts for any intellectual understanding why both my wife & I feel as favorably toward Renoir as we do.
The article has an Intro, and two main sections
- Part 1: Renoir Sucks at Painting
- Part 2: Renoir is a Sexist Pig-man
Keep in mind Eric presents what he’s seen or heard as criticism of Renoir as an artist, then details very clear rebuttals, many of which are presented – I think – in a wry entertaining, almost sardonically satisfying fashion 😊
Also, considering that Eric’s own work is “very” contemporary and digital, and to me very sci-fi-like, this is also a testament to Eric’s awareness of art as art, painting as painting, and differentiates in a keen mental awareness (even more in some of his other essays) between what’s a gimmick, and what is art.
As mentioned at top, Eric also includes tons of visual samples of Renoir’s work, and has an interesting comment thread 😊
And if you’d like to see my own Impressionist suggestions (books, videos and more) on my Impressionism Idea page on Amazon, it’s at – https://www.amazon.com/shop/felipeadanlerma .
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
More Impressionist Product Ideas Below
You can also begin a new search from any image below 😊
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- October 01, 2022 – Opinion: Careening Screaming Laughing Round the Curve and Guardrails America ( and the world ) is Entering Adulthood, Part 1…it’s my opinion humanity will soon decide to survive or not. And that we can only decide to survive by also deciding that means all of us.
- September 28, 2022 – Working Texture and Figures into Compositions I Like, Part 6 : Adding a 5th ( scumbled ) Layer to Danseur en Bleu ( formerly Dancing Turquoise )I don’t want to forget, souls and spirits that we may be, we are also of and from the Earth we stand upon ❤️
- September 27, 2022 – Now This Sounds Right : “Fed can avoid ‘deep pain’ in inflation fight, Bostic says”One of the fun things of being a lay-person in re to an esoteric topic, like the effect of Federal Reserve actions and statements about folks in my fiscal strata is – long as I’m upfront it’s my opinion – I can say how things appear from my socio-economic perspective.
- September 26, 2022 – Changes to My Blog – No Externally Generated Ads / Blogging As AbleI needed to regroup.
- September 25, 2022 – My Most Viewed Image this Past Week @FineArtAmerica, “Walk Among the Wildflowers” : circa 2020I’m hoping to catch the deadline to submit it to a new-to-me Austin venue, Bee Caves Arts Foundation. Do wish me luck. It’d be a great add-on to its being my most viewed on Fine Art America this past week 😊🙏
- September 22, 2022 – Clean Energy, Part 5 – The Practical Problem, and, How #Solar Kept the Lights on After Fiona Left #PuertoRico in the DarkThe bulk of the info is a very fairly laid out presentation that a 90% of renewable energy is mostly doable and feasible. The only really debatable portion, and Dan presents pluses and minuses for each possible choice, is how to supply that last needed 10%.
- September 21, 2022 – Working Texture and Figures into Compositions I Like, Part 5 : Adding a 4th ( textured ) Layer to Danseur en Bleu ( formerly Dancing Turquoise )Much enhanced less subtle, but more vibrant, the current stage of development for Danseur en Bleu is nearing a finish.