Yesterday, I wrote about trying to squeeze in some creative work among the day’s chores, and showed a digital pen and ink line drawing I created as a compliment to a physical pen and ink created drawing, hoping eventually to see how those might work for creative variations of the same original design.
Today 😊 Sheila and I did our annual eye appointments (covered most the morning w/travel time), then toured some entrances to the green belts here in Austin, and finished with a trip to Southside Printing where Harold, the many-generations-owner my own age, printed a few samples of the above digital design so I could try out some acrylic variations. Still had to bring in the plants though due to an expected near freeze here tonight. Then walk or pay a differing penalty later 😏 Get the mail and make some needed calls. Finally, after setting up a few bills to pay, though tired, I really wanted to try out the printed image from yesterday and paint with some new acrylics.
Here’s my originating pen and ink design shown yesterday –
Here’s the one I was able to squeeze in today, after our homemade custom pizza and salad though 😊 —
I won’t deny it. I don’t really like my painting.
But I do see somethings I like —
- The washes could lead to interesting things
- It’s got energy
- It’s got interesting movement patterns
- Easy to overlay paint ’cause the paint dries so fast
- Transparency patterns could lead to more interesting work
What I don’t like is —
- It’s a huge mess!
- The textured patterns I prefer within color fields is very hard to get
- The laser paper is too smooth for what I’m used to
- The thicker paint applications are too garish for my liking
What I might be able to do for next time —
- Stick to thinner applications of paint, ie, washes
- Apply smaller areas of intense pigment (unlike H2O, can’t lift the color)
- Leave more white space
- Simplify back to one main image focus, ala my recent acrylic hearts
Only time will tell me if I can find a style or application of painting on the laser paper I like enough to use the paper my home town printer readily carries.
Tomorrow I hope to try one of the two watercolor papers of my own I’d taken (not knowing if it could be run through the giant laser machine). One sheet stuttered, sorta. Evidently one has to find the direction of the grain and run it through that way or it’ll semi-jam. The other sheet printed pretty nicely, being inserted in the direction of its grain. I’d taken two differing sheets from two different watercolor pads from two different companies. Harold, the owner, knows his stuff! And is willing and able to figure out how something can work! He’s pretty certain the “fusing” of the pigment based inks will keep the printed pen and ink pattern from running/smearing.
I did kinda cheat and wet one of my fingers then run it across a line in the pen and ink pattern.
Hopefully tomorrow I’ll see how the printed piece holds up to either one or both – acrylic and watercolor 😊
Experimenting’s good, if one doesn’t (allegorically) blow up the lab ☺️
Stay well everyone!
Direct link to blog post in above link 😊
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- May 17, 2021 – Random (sorta) Pic of the Day, Morning View Walk in a Light RainI left off our car at a shop we’re trying out near our place for numerous routine minor stuff and walked the short distance back. Luckily I had an umbrella….
- May 16, 2021 – Random (sorta) Pic of the Day, After a Light Rain Barton CreekIt didn’t rain heavy, but it did rain off and on steadily, lol! And more of the same, some heavier, might come our way next 3 days or so. There was just enough rocks still above water I could walk out and….
- May 15, 2021 – Random (sorta) Pic of the Day, Bird Friends at Our BalconyGranted, my real life observation of birds is relatively limited, I’ve never seen this before, one Cardinal feeding two! Wonderful really, so amazed at the joy of such a tiny slice of nature ❤️ To say it’s adorable seems nearly a cliche, but adorable it is!
- May 14, 2021 – Random (sorta) Pic of the Day, First Bird to Visit Our New Balcony Brings a FriendAdding on to yesterday’s pic of our 1st bird visitor to our new balcony at our new location is, I assume 😊, the same little bird, but with a friend, her red feathered boy cardinal I think! The expressions, I think, are priceless!
- May 13, 2021 – Random (sorta) Pic of the Day, First Bird to Visit Our Balcony in Our New LocationA simple pic tonight, a simple mingling of sentiments – innocence, curiosity, hunger….
- May 13, 2021 – Our #1 Learned Lesson This Move : Number the Boxes and Make a Digital List!“Such a simple idea, and Sheila says she’s either read or heard something similar, but only occurred to me this morning searching for random items I must’ve stuffed into a box with other stuff and now can’t find them – number each box, make a list of….”
- May 12, 2021 – Random (sorta) Pic of the Day, A Little Water in Barton Creek“…here goes a short quickshot pictorial of my 1st probe of the nearest Austin nature area new to us, one we’ve never explored before; all done yesterday evening at the last moment.”
Thanks again, everyone! 😊