How the creative wreck happened to happen –
It’s hard to tell from the photo above of an aborted abstract study I tried recently – my phone deciding to take a better picture than usual on a 1st try, lol! – but, it is a wreck!
Actually, I accidentally wrecked it, mostly because I surged forward wanting to do too much too quickly with too much paint & masking fluid, on paper – and – not enough patience to have thought this out 😏
In my own defense, some of those “too much’s” I didn’t realize were too much! 😊
- way too much masking fluid for paper, even 140 lb quality paper
- even more way too much paint, again for paper
And other things were also the stuff of too much, but too much of me pushing to do too much, lol! Like,
- pushing to even start a 2nd painting the same day I’m finish another, plus putting in time for fitness, blog, eating, and, oh yes, very important, down time!
- and, pushing to, while working on watercolor figure & floral studies, also start a new abstract studies series – esp the same day 😏
- plus, pushing myself to figure out canvas series of paintings to accomodate fuller expressions of both the figure/floral studies and abstract studies 😰
Did I mention the how/what/whatever about my abstract studies idea?
No? Well, that’ll probably be another post, lol! But, it has to do with using portions of my own non-abstract work, and create new work. That’s how this “study” was started, from a detail shot of one of my non-abstract paintings I’d liked enough to have uploaded to Fine Art America (see below). I’ll talk a lot more ’bout all that when I do a dedicated post on this, assuming I still go forward with the idea, which despite swearing I wouldn’t when I trashed the header image-painting, I probably will 😊
My goal was to use the detail shot as a starting point for a new yet related painting, following the template of the original to start, deviating as the creative impulse pulsed, yet also incorporating new things I’m trying, like masking fluid etc 😊
The full original painting where the detail itself came from is below —
Did I mention how exactly I trashed this paper study in-progress?
Well – I was hurrying, ’cause I’d already spent the morning working on another painting, and I was tired, probably cause I’m a little too old to be burning candles on both ends, lunch was ready, I needed to use the restroom, I had ear plugs on w/music – and – the big no-no (ask Sheila) I had a really nice, large glass of iced tea near my palette…
And I stood up…
The paper study painting lurched forward from the easel from the weight of too much paint (I hadn’t taken the time to tape the paper down to a substrate), I lurched for painting, knocked over the tea, yanked my iPhone off the easel since when I stood I pulled the ear plug cords to far, smeared paint from the over-turned painting onto my bare foot (gotta be comfortable at home), and felt the ice tea soak my short my painting the rug and, my ego 😢
Lesson learned. No. Lessons learned! 😊
I’ll end this longer-than-I-expected post with a reminder I’d mentioned top of the post that this was the 2nd project I’d taken on that morning. So what was, or is, that 1st project?
Well, all I can say is, I hope to show you it, it’s beginning anyways, my next post! But, will say, it’s working title is, Girl on Bicycle Study 1, is set on the Barton Springs Greenbelt trail, and (of course) involves masking fluid ❤️ 😊
Stay well! Experiment, but maybe most times in moderation, lol!
Thanks so much everyone! 🙏
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
My Amazon search for “abstract art books” –
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- May 20, 2022 – Will My New #Austin #Photography Poster, Morning Light in Barton Springs Greenbelt, Join My Austin Pink Sunset Photo and Lou Neff Digital Art Poster in Sales?The question itself, whether Morning Light in Barton Springs Greenbelt will match or join my currently selling best prints, is a question more of hope and companionship for my image of a truly usually bright spot in Austin, the system of greenbelts preserving the water that makes living here even possible ❤️
- May 19, 2022 – Hardest / Best Part of My Strength Class Recently – Releasing Myself a SmileIt’s nearing 8pm and I’m trying to apply an exercise lesson our online SilverSneakers instructor, Michelle, brought up a few times today – smile 😊
- May 18, 2022 – Places In or Near Austin Texas You Can See and Buy My Prints ( Art and Photography ) #PrimalGallery #OldBakery&EmporiumPrints have consistently out-sold my originals if for no other reasons than they are less expensive and usually have more items to choose from. Not bad reasons at all 😊 What I want to do now though is, begin to –
- May 17, 2022 – I Have a Lot of Happenings ( art & personal ) This Week, But Still Finding Moments To Start a New Painting : Morning’s PromiseIt’s nice to dance the surface of my canvas as needed. And able ☺️ And right now, a light step, at an easy pace, may give me the time – and energy – to get more than a handful of other needed things also done this week. Not a bad compromise. For now 😊
- May 16, 2022 – New Diptych : “Freedom” Almost Finished, Panels Need Signing ( front & back )And what I’ve come across figuring out how to make prints of this that folks can work with, ie, close to or within standard size dimensions, was how to get a 22×28 image convert into – in 2 examples – an 8×10 or 12×18, and I came up with this as a starting prototype….
- May 15, 2022 – My Most Viewed Image this Past Week @FineArtAmerica, “Spring Rising”I’d done a lot of deep or darker night-like paintings for a bit, so it felt pretty nice to lighten up my palette for awhile. Working back & forth, from the two approaches – playing the potential good from both approaches seems to suit my Libra middle, lol!
- May 14, 2022 – My 1st Classical Stretch Workout with Miranda Esmonde-White ( via YouTube ) in Many Months!Though similar to SilverSneakers’ classes, Miranda’s classes focus largely on making the fascia network in our bodies more fluid. Some movements are very similar, but more extended, dance-like, reflecting Miranda’s ballerina and dance background!
Thanks again, everyone! 😊