My big takeaways from the current stage of my work on Violet Blooms via the design I detailed in my 1st big progress report using Fineline Masking Fluid, are —
- For my 1st effort using masking fluid – not bad, lol! 😊
- And, I made a “lot” of design application errors 😂
- Plus, Designing with Fineline’s applicator tip attached has its own distinct possibilities in regard to creating designs for paintings!
Among my mistakes, I —
- Drew masking lines around objects vs the highlights of those object
- Left gaps I thought I could fill in with color without harming my intended design – I was wrong!
- Masked too many details of too many small objects within the image
- Didn’t define adequately my larger shapes
- Didn’t define adequately my most vulnerable highlights
- Didn’t realize some areas, if I choose to mask them, require a brush, vs an outline I may lose control of in regards to protecting the right mass within the image
Over all I feel my realizations and near misses, design-wise, outweigh my mistakes and the very real possibility this will become a “conversation learning-piece” work vs anything I can call finished and available for sale.
I’m hoping I’m wrong about that last part, and find a way to finish it 😊
Very briefly, these are my prev steps from the beginning —
Below, is my 1st application, in early January —
I thought it a beautiful design back then and think it was pretty darn beautiful now, lol!
It just wasn’t the right design for the original image I wanted to create.
But, what ideas it gives me for future paintings! 😊
Below, is my 1st application of paint, with the masking fluid still intact.
In the image above you can also see the beginnings of my masking fluid experiment in what 1st became First Twinkle of Snow, but was altered beyond redemption when, with no problems previously, I applied a brushed on isolation coat for eventual varnishing.
That, was a loss I felt very hard, and is a story for another post.
You can see my progress with First Twinkle of Snow right up to before I ruined it at –
These are some very tough lessons for me. I used to ruining work that was better off being ruined, lol! 😂
And for those familiar with First Twinkle of Snow, or that go and read my post, it wasn’t the masking fluid lines that ruined it, but brushing on an isolation coat on too fragile a watercolor work, particularly because I’d used gouache. A very successful transition from finished piece to placing a fixative coating on a delicate piece is on Flowering at Dawn, at –
The masking fluid lines though, on First Twinkle of Snow, would have become a different problem of their own.
I came to realize that, working with First Twinkle of Snow, and trying over and over to redo the image on the fixative coat (from Spectrafix, which worked), but never being able to not have some of the ends of the masking fluid “poke” through all the coats of all those differing applications of paint and fixative, left the work vulnerable to literally being pulled apart, line by line!
Meanwhile, after that info-detour 😊, below is Violet Blooms minus the masking fluid lines —
Violet Blooms, as seen above, remained that way for several weeks as I studied it on and off, slowly realizing I wouldn’t be able to just “fill in” the blooms. I’d obviously not applied the masking fluid correct design-wise.
Coverage-wise it worked wonderfully! From fluid meandering lines to fine expressive points, general bodies of forms.
Unfortunately, I don’t know if I lucked out enough with this experiment (as I do with most I try 😊) to salvage this into more than a long term study piece. Valuable in itself of course, but I would like to sell more of these 6×6’s, lol! Like I did Bird’s Eye View ❤️
I think that’s coming though – I can feel it 💕
Corrective-wise, I think the only thing I may do is lighten portions of some of the meandering yellow lines.
Beyond that, I’ve got lots of projects I’m working on, from ideas for Fineline’s masking fluid, maybe some brush applied masking, and a pen and ink project.
All on Golden Absorbent Ground on canvas 😊
I’ve even been experimenting using these grounds as white paint, and painting over mistakes or changes in an on-going painting. All fun stuff 😊
Thanks so much everyone!
As I believe I mentioned in my 1st Fineline update –
May your creative efforts be more rewarding than frustrating!
It helps me to remember that most fun things are a mix of something or other, lol! ❤️
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products For This Post
Painting Instruction Videos https://amzn.to/2ZNgxfi
Painting Instruction Prime Video https://amzn.to/35oeMq2
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- The Old American Artist Twitter Excerpt Series, Number I.11.2“Arturo grasped a small canvas, inlaid with soft overlapping rows of wide brush strokes. Blue-grey, like worn bolts on an old wheel….”
- Aging Gracefully During Covid-19 : Approaching 70 – Why It Feels Like the Speed Limit, lol!“Doubts about whether 70 would actually be that major a marker for me, in terms of how hard and how far to push myself, held me back from developing thIs post though, until today!“
- The Old American Artist Twitter Excerpt Series, Number I.11.1“ It would be lunch time soon Arturo sensed….”
- The Old American Artist Twitter Excerpt Series, Number I.10.3“ …at the far end of the table, across from the side he had chosen to go down….”
- I Need Newsletter Feedback From Fellow Artists / Creatives 08.11.20“I’ve finally come to the point I’m willing to force myself to create a newsletter, lol….”
- The Old American Artist Twitter Excerpt Series, Number I.10.2“Her clash of ancestors….”
- The Old American Artist Twitter Excerpt Series, Number I.10.1“Galveston, initially, proved almost as problematic as it did promising.“
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
Thanks everyone! 😊
Twitter / Instagram / FB @FelipeAdanLerma
Amazon Author Page – https://amzn.to/2YpgyUf
Fine Art America (FAA) – https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/felipeadan-lerma.html