Something very new for me yesterday – painting with the Austin group of Urban Sketchers! 😊
I was especially nervous because I hadn’t painted outdoor since the mid-2000s during a workshop, was using materials I didn’t even have then, didn’t know how it might get (even if scheduled for morning), and maybe worst of all – the parking situation near UT in town, lol!
Luckily our local Urban Sketcher folks here are very familiar with urban Austin & our outing was scheduled for a Sunday morning, ie, cooler & less traffic!
While I think my 1st sketch of the morning (below) was a bit sparse I really like the colors; and while my 2nd sketch (top, header image) was a bit busy even for me, it seems to have more form. All in all, folks (onlookers and others in our Urban Sketchers group) were very kind, saying my images were very pretty.
And I gotta admit, if I have to default for an emotive expression for my work, pretty comes close to wanting to express a sense of aspiration for the uplifting; so I’ll gladly take the verbal thumbs’ up’s 🙏
I took a couple of quick photos of work set out before we all headed home, and you can see there’s an amazing level of both draftsmanship and painting. The FB & Instagram links below the images will be a good place to see much better captures of the group of images and individual pieces ❤️
There’s an online signup via Meetup – https://www.meetup.com/UrbanSketchers_Austin/ .
And there’s also the Facebook page, which has the ongoing pics and news of outings here in Austin – https://www.facebook.com/groups/1079812898761611 .
Plus, even though I rarely go there, Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/uskaustin/ ( hashtag #uskaustin )
For me personally, it was wonderful to be out and mingling / chatting with other artists for 1st time in a very long time. There’s a supportiveness and sharing of purpose, regardless of styles – that’s very encouraging and liberating.
Equally liberating for me was not having the time or luxury to get so “studio-ish” and to simply work on the fly – learning for next time, enjoying the process —
— even if – “wanting to get it exactly right (and not getting there)” – is always there, guiding my impulse to reach a little closer to a work , lol! ☺️
Take care everyone! Seems there’s always new things to try out – yay! ♥️
ps – reading over my post, I think I’m realizing, more deeply than beforehand, I need to work fluidly, quickly, including lines w/my color work in my plein air work (my digital work’s a bit different for me, in feel & pace), and yet try to use creative judgement to produce cleaner work at the same time; Sunday morning’s outing with Austin’s Urban Sketcher group was as productive as it was enjoyable! 💕
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
My Amazon search for “urban sketcher” –
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- May 21, 2022 – Sheila & I Are Attending 2 Gallery Openings Today! #PrimalGalleryDS #AustinArtSpaceSheila and I are off to a busy fun art-openings day that include some of my art at two local galleries today – AVAA’s Austin Art Space, and Primal Gallery in nearby Dripping Springs!
- May 20, 2022 – Will My New #Austin #Photography Poster, Morning Light in Barton Springs Greenbelt, Join My Austin Pink Sunset Photo and Lou Neff Digital Art Poster in Sales?The question itself, whether Morning Light in Barton Springs Greenbelt will match or join my currently selling best prints, is a question more of hope and companionship for my image of a truly usually bright spot in Austin, the system of greenbelts preserving the water that makes living here even possible ❤️
- May 19, 2022 – Hardest / Best Part of My Strength Class Recently – Releasing Myself a SmileIt’s nearing 8pm and I’m trying to apply an exercise lesson our online SilverSneakers instructor, Michelle, brought up a few times today – smile 😊
- May 18, 2022 – Places In or Near Austin Texas You Can See and Buy My Prints ( Art and Photography ) #PrimalGallery #OldBakery&EmporiumPrints have consistently out-sold my originals if for no other reasons than they are less expensive and usually have more items to choose from. Not bad reasons at all 😊 What I want to do now though is, begin to –
- May 17, 2022 – I Have a Lot of Happenings ( art & personal ) This Week, But Still Finding Moments To Start a New Painting : Morning’s PromiseIt’s nice to dance the surface of my canvas as needed. And able ☺️ And right now, a light step, at an easy pace, may give me the time – and energy – to get more than a handful of other needed things also done this week. Not a bad compromise. For now 😊
- May 16, 2022 – New Diptych : “Freedom” Almost Finished, Panels Need Signing ( front & back )And what I’ve come across figuring out how to make prints of this that folks can work with, ie, close to or within standard size dimensions, was how to get a 22×28 image convert into – in 2 examples – an 8×10 or 12×18, and I came up with this as a starting prototype….
- May 15, 2022 – My Most Viewed Image this Past Week @FineArtAmerica, “Spring Rising”I’d done a lot of deep or darker night-like paintings for a bit, so it felt pretty nice to lighten up my palette for awhile. Working back & forth, from the two approaches – playing the potential good from both approaches seems to suit my Libra middle, lol!
Thanks again, everyone! 😊