Something very new for me yesterday – painting with the Austin group of Urban Sketchers! 😊
I was especially nervous because I hadn’t painted outdoor since the mid-2000s during a workshop, was using materials I didn’t even have then, didn’t know how it might get (even if scheduled for morning), and maybe worst of all – the parking situation near UT in town, lol!
Luckily our local Urban Sketcher folks here are very familiar with urban Austin & our outing was scheduled for a Sunday morning, ie, cooler & less traffic!
While I think my 1st sketch of the morning (below) was a bit sparse I really like the colors; and while my 2nd sketch (top, header image) was a bit busy even for me, it seems to have more form. All in all, folks (onlookers and others in our Urban Sketchers group) were very kind, saying my images were very pretty.
And I gotta admit, if I have to default for an emotive expression for my work, pretty comes close to wanting to express a sense of aspiration for the uplifting; so I’ll gladly take the verbal thumbs’ up’s 🙏
I took a couple of quick photos of work set out before we all headed home, and you can see there’s an amazing level of both draftsmanship and painting. The FB & Instagram links below the images will be a good place to see much better captures of the group of images and individual pieces ❤️
There’s an online signup via Meetup – https://www.meetup.com/UrbanSketchers_Austin/ .
And there’s also the Facebook page, which has the ongoing pics and news of outings here in Austin – https://www.facebook.com/groups/1079812898761611 .
Plus, even though I rarely go there, Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/uskaustin/ ( hashtag #uskaustin )
For me personally, it was wonderful to be out and mingling / chatting with other artists for 1st time in a very long time. There’s a supportiveness and sharing of purpose, regardless of styles – that’s very encouraging and liberating.
Equally liberating for me was not having the time or luxury to get so “studio-ish” and to simply work on the fly – learning for next time, enjoying the process —
— even if – “wanting to get it exactly right (and not getting there)” – is always there, guiding my impulse to reach a little closer to a work , lol! ☺️
Take care everyone! Seems there’s always new things to try out – yay! ♥️
ps – reading over my post, I think I’m realizing, more deeply than beforehand, I need to work fluidly, quickly, including lines w/my color work in my plein air work (my digital work’s a bit different for me, in feel & pace), and yet try to use creative judgement to produce cleaner work at the same time; Sunday morning’s outing with Austin’s Urban Sketcher group was as productive as it was enjoyable! 💕
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
My Amazon search for “urban sketcher” –
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- August 14, 2022 – My Most Viewed Image this Past Week @FineArtAmerica, “Time at the Musee d’Orsay” : circa 2012I would hope Sheila and I get to make at least one more wonderful extended trip to Paris 🙏 ❤️ 🇫🇷
- August 13, 2022 – My 1st Back to Back SilverSneakers 45 Minute Zoom Classes : Circuit and Yoga!!What’s particularly nice and that I really like about how SilverSneakers has their class info organized, is that one can do nearly any kind of search top of their class listings page….
- August 12, 2022 – Texas TOD ( Tourist Orientated Designation ) Sign Go-Fund-Me for #PrimalGalleryDSExpanding on yesterday’s post, there’s a well-deserved much-needed Go Fund Me for a gallery I’m showing in – Primal Gallery! Joe the owner literally built his gallery from the ground up….
- August 11, 2022 – Aging Gracefully, Riding the Tide of a Busy DayHad wanted to write about a well-deserved much-needed Go Fund Me for a gallery I’m showing in ( Primal Gallery ), but….
- August 10, 2022 – A Beginner’s ( Layman’s ) View : Today’s #Inflation Report on #Food and #EnergyI came across several good articles, and felt The Hilll’s piece particularly well balanced and thoughtful, and, unlike as has been the case with many complex subjects, like the economy and climate and clean energy, not initially headline-presented in over-cheerily words.
- August 09, 2022 – Revisiting #FestivalBeachFoodForest with Max the 9-Year OldAnd while Max helped with some watering, I asked Karen about a bright berry cluster in a small tree the morning light was glowing on —
- August 08, 2022 – Bingo! At #TheLadyBird’s 55+ Residences #AustinTexasAfter a full day of live online SilverSneakers exercise classes, painting…and of course Sheila’s wonderful meals – Sheila and I, plus the 9 year old and his mom, had a good old-fashioned Bingo bash, lol! ❤️
Thanks again, everyone! 😊