Something very new for me yesterday – painting with the Austin group of Urban Sketchers! 😊
I was especially nervous because I hadn’t painted outdoor since the mid-2000s during a workshop, was using materials I didn’t even have then, didn’t know how it might get (even if scheduled for morning), and maybe worst of all – the parking situation near UT in town, lol!
Luckily our local Urban Sketcher folks here are very familiar with urban Austin & our outing was scheduled for a Sunday morning, ie, cooler & less traffic!
While I think my 1st sketch of the morning (below) was a bit sparse I really like the colors; and while my 2nd sketch (top, header image) was a bit busy even for me, it seems to have more form. All in all, folks (onlookers and others in our Urban Sketchers group) were very kind, saying my images were very pretty.
And I gotta admit, if I have to default for an emotive expression for my work, pretty comes close to wanting to express a sense of aspiration for the uplifting; so I’ll gladly take the verbal thumbs’ up’s 🙏
I took a couple of quick photos of work set out before we all headed home, and you can see there’s an amazing level of both draftsmanship and painting. The FB & Instagram links below the images will be a good place to see much better captures of the group of images and individual pieces ❤️
There’s an online signup via Meetup – https://www.meetup.com/UrbanSketchers_Austin/ .
And there’s also the Facebook page, which has the ongoing pics and news of outings here in Austin – https://www.facebook.com/groups/1079812898761611 .
Plus, even though I rarely go there, Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/uskaustin/ ( hashtag #uskaustin )
For me personally, it was wonderful to be out and mingling / chatting with other artists for 1st time in a very long time. There’s a supportiveness and sharing of purpose, regardless of styles – that’s very encouraging and liberating.
Equally liberating for me was not having the time or luxury to get so “studio-ish” and to simply work on the fly – learning for next time, enjoying the process —
— even if – “wanting to get it exactly right (and not getting there)” – is always there, guiding my impulse to reach a little closer to a work , lol! ☺️
Take care everyone! Seems there’s always new things to try out – yay! ♥️
ps – reading over my post, I think I’m realizing, more deeply than beforehand, I need to work fluidly, quickly, including lines w/my color work in my plein air work (my digital work’s a bit different for me, in feel & pace), and yet try to use creative judgement to produce cleaner work at the same time; Sunday morning’s outing with Austin’s Urban Sketcher group was as productive as it was enjoyable! 💕
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
My Amazon search for “urban sketcher” –
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- May 29, 2022 – My Most Viewed Image this Past Week @FineArtAmerica, Repeat Most Viewed – “Austin Pink Sunset”Wonderful, iconic, and a favored memory of rushing down along the banks of Lady Bird Lake between the old railroad bridge and the Pfluger Pedestrian Bridge, I captured 3 images all total, from….
- May 28, 2022 – Sheila & I Attended 2 Gallery Openings Saturday! Stop #2 #AustinArtSpace in North Central Austin…we were ready to ease down to an old familiar location having their 1st open-art-call opening and show since before the pandemic – AVAA’s Austin Art Space!
- May 28, 2022 – When Plans of What to Write About Become Necessities : #UvaldeBelow are tweets and/or links etc referring to those above topics. I’ll try and notate in the title if there’s a dominant topic. Right now, it’s still : children murdered… ..en masse….
- May 27, 2022 – When a Child Asks Why Someone Wants To Kill Him and His Friends….…our youngest girl has had to speak with the 9 year old, our youngest grandchild, about this….
- May 26, 2022 – #KVUE News Austin Had an Article That Got Me Thinking More About Gun Violence and Potential Gun Control Laws…it’s that latter position, gun controls that do exist, and their being exemplified as markers of failures in their communities to stem unlawful violence that got me thinking. See below –
- May 25, 2022 – When Innocent Children Are Gunned Down, We Are in the Land of Death and MUST Change ThisThere is ample room between no one anywhere anytime having access to a gun and everyone anywhere anytime having any gun they want & be able to carry it about anywhere anytime they want. That’s what Democracy is about.
- May 24, 2022 – Sheila & I Attended 2 Gallery Openings Saturday! Stop #1 #PrimalGalleryDS West of AustinA from-the-ground-up creation of Primal Gallery owner Joe Lednicky, the atmosphere was hopeful while conversations bubbled and rolled round the large interior.
Thanks again, everyone! 😊