Sunflower in Dappled Light Study 1 turned out to belie itself in one important regard – it shoulda been a larger canvas work.
Where it did shine, for me, creatively, is the dazzling combination of styles I managed to squeeze out of me and onto paper to try and get the expression I wanted for this small floral study – with watercolor! Even the thicker textured whites, usually all done in M. Graham’s white gouache, was via Sennelier’s Chinese White.
Though ackward for what I’m used to, in terms of selecting a style to paint – having masking fluid stripped washes surround one of my printed line art drawings, then encasing that drawing with layered washes, textured overlays, and outright oil-like dabs of paint, well, sincerely – I was flashing stylistic memories from the 80s (acrylics) and early 2000s (oils) – and – still had the lovely watercolor washes around it!
So what was the main lesson I learned from this study?
That I can relax and let-flow and combine my creative impulses far more than I’ve allowed myself so far – and – make it work! At least in the sense that I like what I see happening and at the finish.
Will that always be the case? Doubt it, lol!
Will any future work done along those lines ever be as good as some of my previous work?
Don’t know. But, would be very surprised if one or two didn’t in turn surprise me by being so ❤️
So, no denying this 9×12 watercolor study sure took the long train round getting there, especially compared to my previous (also 1st) watercolor study in this series ( see pic below ) but this new image combined, somewhat successfully at least, lol, quite a variety of creative impulses I like. Can’t complain about that – kinda like a mixed media of my favorite styles ☺️
Gotta admit though, I like the dappling on Walking in Dappled Light Study 1 below better than in my Sunflower Study.
But if I can squeeze out a decent image with as many styles and textured as I used in Sunflower, there’s gotta be hope this (dappled-ness) will get worked in eventually too – but on another sunflower study. This one is done, lol! 🙏
Not sure how often I’d want to be driven going this far down the experiment road, lot of bumps and ruts along with the amazing scenery! But glad I pushed myself to go ahead and do this one ❤️
Stay well everyone! Have faith in your creative abilities. Having faith means you can see the finish intuitively. And anything else you can add to that effort is, I think, one heckuva big bonus!! 💕
ps – my series of posts detailing the process for creating Sunflower in Dappled Light Study 1 can be seen at – https://felipeadanlerma.com/tag/sunflower-in-dappled-light-study-1/
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
My Amazon search for “experimental art” –
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- July 04, 2022 – Happy 4th of July! 🇺🇸Very little to say and so much to feel and think about this great country of ours.
- July 03, 2022 – My Most Viewed Image this Past Week @FineArtAmerica, “We Are the United States of America” : circa 2016 #DigitalPosterIronic, or simply apropos, seeing as tomorrow is the 4th of July, America’s anniversary birthday, my poster from 2016, “We Are the United States of America” was most viewed this past week on Fine Art America ❤️
- July 02, 2022 – #CrescentMoon at Sunset, Austin TexasI hoped, in yesterday’s post, I might be able to post this sunset off our balcony – a crescent moon floating above the sea of crimson orange air – and am so glad I could 🙏
- July 01, 2022 – Our First Pigeon at Our New Place Shows Up for Food, Atop Our New Ivy ScreenSheila and I’ve gotten to experience several 1st’s since moving into The LadyBird here in Austin, so it was specially nice when two 1st’s joined to make a memorable image through our window –
- June 30, 2022 – My Art and Prints on Special Sale At Primal Gallery 4th of July Weekend!Primal Gallery 4th of July sale! Including both my art work and posters 😊
- June 29, 2022 – Someone Very Glad to See Us Today!As per yesterday, still very exhausted feeling, but Sheila & I both beginning to also feel the move-fatigue to our new place is slowly being replaced by relief fatigue….
- June 28, 2022 – Record # of 100 Degree Days in June. Then it Rained….This evening ( Monday, June 27, 2022 ) here in Austin, we broke the all-time record for number of days 100 degrees or more – and – the clouds and rain and cooler air swept through and we dared open the blinds and step outside before 10 pm, lol!
Thanks again, everyone! 😊