Sunflower in Dappled Light Study 1 turned out to belie itself in one important regard – it shoulda been a larger canvas work.
Where it did shine, for me, creatively, is the dazzling combination of styles I managed to squeeze out of me and onto paper to try and get the expression I wanted for this small floral study – with watercolor! Even the thicker textured whites, usually all done in M. Graham’s white gouache, was via Sennelier’s Chinese White.
Though ackward for what I’m used to, in terms of selecting a style to paint – having masking fluid stripped washes surround one of my printed line art drawings, then encasing that drawing with layered washes, textured overlays, and outright oil-like dabs of paint, well, sincerely – I was flashing stylistic memories from the 80s (acrylics) and early 2000s (oils) – and – still had the lovely watercolor washes around it!
So what was the main lesson I learned from this study?
That I can relax and let-flow and combine my creative impulses far more than I’ve allowed myself so far – and – make it work! At least in the sense that I like what I see happening and at the finish.
Will that always be the case? Doubt it, lol!
Will any future work done along those lines ever be as good as some of my previous work?
Don’t know. But, would be very surprised if one or two didn’t in turn surprise me by being so ❤️
So, no denying this 9×12 watercolor study sure took the long train round getting there, especially compared to my previous (also 1st) watercolor study in this series ( see pic below ) but this new image combined, somewhat successfully at least, lol, quite a variety of creative impulses I like. Can’t complain about that – kinda like a mixed media of my favorite styles ☺️
Gotta admit though, I like the dappling on Walking in Dappled Light Study 1 below better than in my Sunflower Study.
But if I can squeeze out a decent image with as many styles and textured as I used in Sunflower, there’s gotta be hope this (dappled-ness) will get worked in eventually too – but on another sunflower study. This one is done, lol! 🙏
Not sure how often I’d want to be driven going this far down the experiment road, lot of bumps and ruts along with the amazing scenery! But glad I pushed myself to go ahead and do this one ❤️
Stay well everyone! Have faith in your creative abilities. Having faith means you can see the finish intuitively. And anything else you can add to that effort is, I think, one heckuva big bonus!! 💕
ps – my series of posts detailing the process for creating Sunflower in Dappled Light Study 1 can be seen at – https://felipeadanlerma.com/tag/sunflower-in-dappled-light-study-1/
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
My Amazon search for “experimental art” –
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- January 17, 2022 – Art Delivery to Cypress Grill Austin for a Creative Arts Society Rotating Member ShowingI’m happy to post I’m placing my 1st piece of art work at a Creative Arts Society member venue in over a year and a half!
- January 16, 2022 – My Most Viewed Image this Past Week @FineArtAmerica, Fantasy Landscape – New 16×20 #LyricalAbstract #AcrylicPaintingFantasy Landscape is currently residing at the Old Bakery & Emporium in downtown Austin across from the Texas State Capital. It’s a super playful acrylic I didn’t realize would be “so much” a landscape as it turned out, lol! All part of the “discovery” process inside each artist, often call the landscape inside, probably in more senses than one, as Joan Mitchell has alluded to.
- January 15, 2022 – New 12×24 Inch #Acrylic Upload @FineArtAmerica – Blue Impressionist Abstract 1Third of my 3 uploaded acrylic color blocks, each 12×24 inches on gallery wrapped canvas, Blue gives me a triad of sorts, the other two paintings being red and yellow. A link to related blog posts is – https://felipeadanlerma.com/?s=Impressionist+abstract I’ve always like panoramas, even in my….
- January 14, 2022 – Painting + Capturing Photos of the Sides of 2 #ImpressionistAbstract Panoramas Accepted by Art for the People Gallery AustinA few posts ago I announced about my art audition for an upcoming show at Austin local gallery, Art for the People, and mentioned I’d had a couple of my Impressionist Abstract panoramas chosen! One, the red version, already had its sides painted, but the newer blue version didn’t, so I got to work right away. Like I tell folks who like hearing ’bout how I put these together, painting the sides almost always takes as long or longer than the painting! Why?
- January 13, 2022 – 2 New Works In-Progress : Good Conversation + Healthy Vines Happy Hearts – #AbstractPainting #LyricalAbstraction #TheAdjacentPossibleWasn’t sure what I wanted to paint this particular day, just really needed to 😊 I’ve been reading a creativity book, The Adjacent Possible; filled with good ideas, one of which emphasizes “just starting.” A concept the author calls zero to 1, which she explains is like this huge leap, from nothing, to something. She says it over and over, all different ways, and I understood it. First intellectually. Then emotionally. And today, physically.
- January 12, 2022 – Auditioned 3 Paintings at #ArtForThePeopleGallery, Snuck in 3 Unannounced Works, Got 4 of 6 Accepted!!!Well, I didn’t really “sneak” 3 additional works into my art audition at Art for the People Gallery here in Austin — but I did pack 3 extra pieces into my car & after they’d seen the 3 they’d asked to see, I asked them if they’d like to see some even newer work, basically blocks of color, with texture, that I had with me? And they said yes! The 3 they first asked to see….
- January 11, 2022 – Adan’s #ArtPoems / #PhotoPoems : Light is But Darkness Feeling…I’ve had a PhotoPoems / Photo Poems series of posts seems since near when I 1st started my blog, and was tempted to call this verse, for Angel, a PhotoPoem also. But even though I’ve a few posts tying poem and art work together, I don’t think that would be in the spirit of the thought behind the poems anymore. An art poem, I feel instinctively, is….
Thanks again, everyone! 😊