Sunflower in Dappled Light Study 1 turned out to belie itself in one important regard – it shoulda been a larger canvas work.
Where it did shine, for me, creatively, is the dazzling combination of styles I managed to squeeze out of me and onto paper to try and get the expression I wanted for this small floral study – with watercolor! Even the thicker textured whites, usually all done in M. Graham’s white gouache, was via Sennelier’s Chinese White.
Though ackward for what I’m used to, in terms of selecting a style to paint – having masking fluid stripped washes surround one of my printed line art drawings, then encasing that drawing with layered washes, textured overlays, and outright oil-like dabs of paint, well, sincerely – I was flashing stylistic memories from the 80s (acrylics) and early 2000s (oils) – and – still had the lovely watercolor washes around it!
So what was the main lesson I learned from this study?
That I can relax and let-flow and combine my creative impulses far more than I’ve allowed myself so far – and – make it work! At least in the sense that I like what I see happening and at the finish.
Will that always be the case? Doubt it, lol!
Will any future work done along those lines ever be as good as some of my previous work?
Don’t know. But, would be very surprised if one or two didn’t in turn surprise me by being so ❤️
So, no denying this 9×12 watercolor study sure took the long train round getting there, especially compared to my previous (also 1st) watercolor study in this series ( see pic below ) but this new image combined, somewhat successfully at least, lol, quite a variety of creative impulses I like. Can’t complain about that – kinda like a mixed media of my favorite styles ☺️
Gotta admit though, I like the dappling on Walking in Dappled Light Study 1 below better than in my Sunflower Study.
But if I can squeeze out a decent image with as many styles and textured as I used in Sunflower, there’s gotta be hope this (dappled-ness) will get worked in eventually too – but on another sunflower study. This one is done, lol! 🙏
Not sure how often I’d want to be driven going this far down the experiment road, lot of bumps and ruts along with the amazing scenery! But glad I pushed myself to go ahead and do this one ❤️
Stay well everyone! Have faith in your creative abilities. Having faith means you can see the finish intuitively. And anything else you can add to that effort is, I think, one heckuva big bonus!! 💕
ps – my series of posts detailing the process for creating Sunflower in Dappled Light Study 1 can be seen at – https://felipeadanlerma.com/tag/sunflower-in-dappled-light-study-1/
My Related Posts Here On My Blog
My Related Amazon Affiliate Search Products
My Amazon search for “experimental art” –
My Latest Posts On My Website!
- January 01, 2023 – Happy New Year! : My Most Viewed Image the Last Week of 2022 @FineArtAmerica, Little Steps PosterA wonderfully fitting image as my most viewed this past week, the last week, of 2022 – Little Steps, my poster version ❤️ 🙏 ☺️
- December 18, 2022 – 1st Return Appearance Since Spring : My Most Viewed Image this Past Week @FineArtAmerica, Blue with Gold Twilight – #PanoramaOcean waves of blue fill our skies and seas, cascading sighs and whispers of inspiration with each breath.
- December 11, 2022 – My Most Viewed Image this Past Week @FineArtAmerica, “Morning Light in Barton Springs Greenbelt, Austin Poster” ( circa 2021 ) #AustinTexas #AustinPhotographyMorning Light Poster also recently sold at the Old Bakery and Emporium 🙏😌
- December 03, 2022 – My Most Viewed Image this Past Week @FineArtAmerica, “Costa Rica Sunset Panorama” : circa 2017I almost skipped even posting about it, but at 4x the views of the nearest most viewed of my images, I needed to drag myself out of my whatever-it-is recent posting stagnation, lol!
- November 21, 2022 – My Most Viewed Image this Past Week @FineArtAmerica, “Dispatcher” : circa 2011I thought Dispatcher had once already been one of my most viewed of my work on Fine Art America, but I guess not! 😊 It’s been a popular poem, and with the holidays upon us, a great choice as a print or coffee mug ☕️ 🇺🇸
- November 13, 2022 – My Most Viewed Image this Past Week @FineArtAmerica, “Cypress Creek Mid Afternoon Mid October” : Circa 2019Very unusual to have so many photos from my collection of images at Fine Art America show up among my 12 most viewed images there at FAA, and for so many showing up for the 1st time….
- November 08, 2022 – The Mid-Term Elections 2022 : This is It! If the Elections Are Important to You…VOTE!!!If the elections are important to you – vote! 😊🇺🇸🙏
Thanks again, everyone! 😊
Twitter / Instagram / FB @FelipeAdanLerma
Amazon Author Page – https://amzn.to/2YpgyUf
Fine Art America (FAA, Pixels) – https://felipeadan-lerma.pixels.com/
[…] — Felipe Adan Lerma (@FelipeAdanLerma) October 1, 2021 Direct link to Sunflower blog post above 😊 https://felipeadanlerma.com/2021/10/01/october-01-2021-sunflower-in-dappled-light-study-1-watercolor… […]
LikeLiked by 1 person