“Cross Country” – Meditation, or Illusion?

101 Sports Poems - The Poems

Click for Listing

“the intent of this blog is to incrementally build a body of thought that works toward integrating various topics, yoga, fitness, and the arts – it’s a process…”

***

“cross country” – meditation, or illusion?

Site Areas

Fitness ** Arts ** eBooks

featured in the ebook –

101  Sports Poems – The Poems

and

participated 011912 in dVersepoets prompt “Imagism”

especially in regard to the moderator, ‘s, quote:

“Pound further defined an image: ‘that which presents an intellectual and emotional complex in an instant of time.’”

Bricks, the Spaces Between the Paths

Bricks, the Spaces Between the Paths

***

below is a poem i wrote nearly 17 years ago, “cross country”

i didn’t know what i know now, and all i did was describe what i experienced, occasionally, when i ran what was then a distance for me, several miles, and would now be, a marathan  😉

posted on my old art site in 2007, i’ve incuded the short commentary i placed under the poem then

monday, valentines’s day, my wife sheila’s birthday, i’ll post “heart beats”

both poems will, eventually, help me write my next multi-part post, due tuesday: “meditation: am i doing it yet?”

Cross Country

Pace.

Learning to pace is key.

Letting the thud thump

of one’s feet slip

skip into a heart beat.

Allowing the mind to find the eye’s

range into any distance.

Rough broken edges of rocks

soften.  The round turns of

foliage and trees sharpen.

Green and brown and blue become bound.

One’s view and nature

grow balanced between the

thud thump heart-feet-beat

of one’s breath beginning to

settle easily through and out

the gliding body.

The floating consciousness

breathes lightly through the views.

And the countryside within and without

becomes covered, crossed and claimed

by one heart.  One vision.

© 1994-2011 adam light creations/adan lerma

***

Artist’s Comment: though many of my writings are more empathy/research based than experiential, this one is one i’ve lived and felt just like it’s written

though i didn’t go on to become like a devotee of the sport, i touched it enough to see and feel beyond the sweat and ability to eat more than i do now 🙂  i saw and felt the world around me, within

adan – december 15, 2007

***

i just assumed, when i wrote my post-run post-poem artist’s comment, i was simply taking a mystic stance in the midst of science

so what is the consensus or expert opinion, is “cross country” meditation?

one answer, meant for yoga, but possibly also applicable for me, is from a guest author on the yoga lunchbox:

“Repetitive sequences may look limiting from the outside, but I find them enabling. They are like a container that supports me and continues to expand as I expand. Once I learn a sequence, I do not need to think about what is coming next or what I think I might want to do. My mind becomes more still as I just flow from one posture to the next. Outer structure leads to inner freedom…This is why Ashtanga is often called a moving meditation.”

sounds pretty good to me

but i don’t practice Ashtanga per se, i’m still experimenting…

so when i post my new series, “meditation: am i doing it yet?” next week, i’ll attempt to do so from a post-run post-poem post-artist-only viewpoint  😉

will it still qualify as a yogic viewpoint? maybe?

and what might my viewpoint be in 2020? what type of view point could it be?

a nano-point perhaps  😉

poetry series

poetry ebooks updates page

INTEGRATING YOGA FITNESS AND THE ARTS

About Me

Classes

Home

Advertisements

About Felipe Adan Lerma

A beginner's view : integrating interests in yoga, fitness, and the arts - work in fiction, poetry, and images.
This entry was posted in Arts Area, Fitness, Fitness Area, Meditation, sports poetry and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to “Cross Country” – Meditation, or Illusion?

1. Shawna says:

I love the footfall/heartbeat thud you created with this poem’s rhythm.

2. Wonderful how you allow me (a walker, not a runner) to share your experience. Your sensory detail is stellar.

• yoga-adan says:

maybe allowed, but certainly wanted to share that with you 😉

but walking or running, the same can be done by anyone, just key on the sensory detail (and thank you for the wonderful compliment), and link it to a rhythm in your walk, your breath, the bob in your walk, what are you feeling as you look out and sense yourself?

reading some of your work, you would do wonderful things with that 😉

3. You captured the jog quite nicely. I used to enjoy it tremendously (probably need to take it up again).

• yoga-adan says:

yea, i lot of used to jog or run 😉 i’ve gone on to less impact stuff, jazzercise and yoga, seems to suit me better, but i have great memories of my running years 😉

i see you are in college station, what a summer ya’ll had last year! i grew up in houston, and lived in austin and galveston back and forth for most my life; we’re in vermont right now since summer, be near sheila’s family for awhile

they say here this has been a real mild winter, and i tell them i’m radiating heat from texas is why 😉

how is your book on barnes & noble doing? is it just at b&n?

take care charles, glad you came by

4. claudia says:

nice…very cool capture.. i did a lot of jogging a few years back..always 5am in the morning and just loved the atmosphere…today i have it when i bike to work in summer…love the serenity in this..

• yoga-adan says:

that was the thing that surprised me the first time i experienced this while running, the serenity i felt, it shocked me, so much peacefulness in movement

bicycling does this too sometimes for me, we used to bike a lot on the seawall in galveston, not sure if we’ll be able to do some of the here, maybe rent some bikes and go along the bike path by lake champlain here, might be nice

thanks for the reminder ’bout that! bicycling 😉 thanks claudia

5. I like the way this brings into focus the broadening awareness that accompanies your race with/against time.

• yoga-adan says:

thanks! i did want to express that very real sense of broadening of awareness, it was what was so shocking to me that first time, that it then took me to such a peaceful flowing with everything around me as i ran, thanks again 😉

6. brian says:

nice…you can tell you know it as you put us right in it as we read…very well captured…running was never my sport…i had asthma growing up…funny i could play all day but put me on a track to run and it locked up…

• yoga-adan says:

thanks brian, yea this one just came out just me thinking about some of those better runs, thanks! 😉

that’s tough growing up with something like asthma, i never thought about it cause i never had it, closest was chronic respiratory infections, but asthma, that takes some real caring for

heard best to warm up real slowly, not push too fast, maybe with running, you’d stress, tighten up, and try to push through, making it worse; while with playing, you were more relaxed and could stop and go at your own speed

anyway, just guessing on my part, i hope you’re doing well with it now brian, take care

7. Laurie Kolp says:

Letting the thud thump

of one’s feet slip

skip into a heart beat.

I love the sound, rhythm throughout… and I remember the oneness of heart-feet-beat with nature.

…and my answer would definitely be yes- running is mediating, at least for me… when I ran 5 miles a day. Now my ankles are too bad.

• Laurie Kolp says:

meditating, not mediating… but I guess it could be…

• yoga-adan says:

thanks laurie, glad you liked it, esp the musicality and oneness with nature aspects

yea, that running! i loved it for decades, i got to about 3 miles a day for a long time, but no more, too hard on my knees; roughest i do now is jazzercise and yoga 😉 hope you still enjoy staying fit with something, makes for better poetry, at least for me 😉